-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Design question for using Abstract classes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:14 pm 

I've got a question to see if there's a better way to design the following simple example (I've got more complex tables, but this is a good example):

I have a User database table with the following columns :
id
first_name
last_name

And what I want to have is a UserBase class, and a User class. The User class will have accessor methods that are used by the UI. Following is an example of the code :

Code:
@Entity
@Table(name = "USER")
public abstract class UserBase implements java.io.Serializable {
    protected String firstName ;
    protected String lastName;
    // appropriate getFirstName and getLastName methods

}

public class User extends UserBase {

// Put any transient methods / variables here   

public String getFullName() {
        return firstName + ", " + lastName;
    }

}

I have tried using @MappedSuperclass on my UserBase class, and then using @Entity on my User class, the problem is that then Hibernate expects me to have a database column associated with the fullName field on my User class.

I've also tried marking my getFullName() with @Transient, which seems to work fine, but my question is whether or not there's a better way to implement this pattern. I'd prefer not to have to mark all my methods in my User class with @Transient, it just doesn't seem like a clean design.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:02 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

@mappedsuperclass and @Transient seem the right choice for me

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]