-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: EJB3 persistence (using hibernate) in a Tomcat webapp
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:24 am 

(When you only want to use EJB3 persistence, and not the whole EJB3 stack).

In the document "Using Hibernate with Tomcat" (http://www.hibernate.org/114.html), it is suggested that you create a ServletContextListener - like the one below - where the listener initializes and closes Hibernate on deployment and undeployment of your webapp.

Code:
public class HibernateListener implements ServletContextListener {

public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent event) {
        HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory(); // Just call the static initializer of that class   
    }

public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent event) {
        HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().close(); // Free all resources
    }
}

My question is: If I want to use Hibernate as an EJB3 persistence engine in a Webapp running in Tomcat, do I make a similar ServletContextListener like this:

Code:
public class EntityManagerListener implements ServletContextListener {

public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent event) {
        EntityManagerUtil.getEntityManagerFactory(); // Just call the static initializer of that class   
    }

public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent event) {
        EntityManagerUtil.getEntityManagerFactory().close(); // Free all resources
    }

}

Code:
public class EntityManagerUtil {

private static EntityManagerFactory emf;
    public static final ThreadLocal<EntityManager> entitymanager = new ThreadLocal<EntityManager>();

public static EntityManagerFactory getEntityManagerFactory() {
        if (emf == null) {
            // Create the EntityManagerFactory
            emf = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("example");
        }

return emf;
    }

public static EntityManager getEntityManager() {
        EntityManager em = entitymanager.get();

// Create a new EntityManager
        if (em == null) {
            em = emf.createEntityManager();
            entitymanager.set(em);
        }
        return em;
    }

public static void closeEntityManager() {
        EntityManager em = entitymanager.get();
        entitymanager.set(null);
        if (em != null) em.close();
    }

}

And then in my webapp use the following code:

Code:
public Person findByName(String name) {
    EntityManager em = EntityManagerUtil.getEntityManager();
    Query q = em.createQuery("select person from Person as person where name=:param");
    q.setParameter("param", name);
    Person p = (Person) q.getSingleResult();
    em.close();
    return p;
}

Would that be the right way to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:04 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

yes, but using JBoss Embeddable EJB3 would be much easier and powerful. I don't understand why people use a Lexus when you provide them a Mercedes for the same price ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:08 am 

emmanuel wrote:
yes, but using JBoss Embeddable EJB3 would be much easier and powerful...

Properly true (I don't know JBoss Emb EJB3), but if all I want is EJB3 persistence instead of plain Hibernate, then this should be enough.

Post subject: JPA and ThreadLocal EntityManager
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:07 am 

I followed the code in this thread and implemented the Listener and the ThreadLocal entity manager.

I am using Jetspeed 2.0 with portlets and am having a hard time determining where to start and end a transaction and how to detach an object (Filters do not work in portlets by the way).

My current methods aren't working. I have a screen that lets the user manipulate a bean, removing items from a collection. Each time they click "Remove" on a line item I remove the actual item from the collection and then if they click Save then I call merge() on the ThreadLocal obtained EntityManager. But if they cancel, I just want to reload it from the database or discard the object.

I can call EntityManager refresh() but because my EntityManager is ThreadLocal, a lot of times it does not refresh because the EntityManager I loaded the entity from is different than the EntityManager I get when they try to Cancel their changes.

If I change it so that I close the EntityManager after the find then I have a problem when I retrieve a list of these objects. The collection ends up being a LAZY load and when the JSP part of the portlet tries to display something from the collection, I get the exception because the session is closed.

Do I need to make everything load EAGER and just close the EntityManager or call clear() on the EntityManager after each load/find?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]