-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: hibernate-search: relative path for hibernate.search.default
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I want to configure my persistence.xml like this:

Code:
<property name="hibernate.search.default.indexBase" value="$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/data/lucene/indexes"/>

or

Code:
<property name="hibernate.search.default.indexBase" value="../../server/all/data/lucene/indexes"/>

but that does not work!

is there any possibility to configure a relative path?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Where does the index end up in the second example? Does it not work at all?

have you thought about filtering the value for ${JBOSS_HOME} into the configuration file at build time. You could have different build profiles for your different environments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

The second one should end up to my package.ear

If I try:

Code:
<property name="hibernate.search.default.indexBase" value="${JBOSS_HOME}/server/all/data/lucene/indexes"/>

it will result in the error
Code:
org.hibernate.search.SearchException: Cannot write into index directory: ${JBOSS_HOME}/server/all/data/lucene/indexes

any more ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:51 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

As said just using ${JBOSS_HOME} in the properties file is not going to work. Hibernate or in this case Hibernate Search would not know how to expand this variable.

A relative path name, however, should work. Hibernate Search uses the specified indexBase property and just and calls
Code:
File indexDir = new File( indexBase );

According to the Java specs in case of a relative path the resulting file/directory should be relative to the system property user.dir which is in turn typically the directory in which the Java virtual machine was invoked. If you can figure out from which directory your startup script is launching the JVM you should be able to work out how the relative path should look like.

Have you tried the filtering approach though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm wondering about this exact same issue - I'd like to deploy to hibernate and my development and deployment environments are different. Generating a different EAR for each environment seems like a pain.

Did the relative path method give any results?

Ideally I'd use a system property or a JNDI resource or something that can be configured inside the server. Otherwise I'd potentially have to generate a custom EAR for every environment I ever deploy to :-(.

Would it make sense for me subclass the directory provider and use my own logic to determine the path based on a system property of my own invention?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:17 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I tried the relative path method and it worked pretty well. You just have to be aware of what the "current directory" means for your appserver.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]