-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Validator does not preserve method hierarchy in InvalidValue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:44 pm 
Regular
Regular

I love this feature and really hope this will become part of the EJB3 spec if not part or JSE itself someday.

The missing feature I find is when using the @Valid annotation to perform recursive validations.

Imagine a simple object graph. We have Customer which has Contact which has firstName, lastName, phone, fax, email. Phone and fax are instances of blah.model.Phone.

In Customer

@Valid
public Contact getContact() ...

In Contact

@Valid
public Phone getPhone() ...

@Valid
public Phone getFax() ...

In Phone

@Pattern(regex=PHONE_REGEXP, message="must match {regex}")
public String getNumber()...

now we code:

Code:
ClassValidator<Customer> customerValidator = new ClassValidator(Customer.class);

InvalidValue[] validationMessages = customerValidator.getInvalidValues(customer);

for (InvalidValue value : validationMessages) {
    log.debug("getBean() = " + value.getBean());
    log.debug("getBeanClass() = " + value.getBeanClass());
    log.debug("getMessage() = " + value.getMessage());
    log.debug("getPropertyName() = " + value.getPropertyName());
    log.debug("getValue() = " + value.getValue());
    errors.rejectValue(value.getPropertyName(), value.getMessage(), value.getMessage());
}
// The errors bit is from Spring, and just how I would capture the message and return it to the view layer.

If I have junk in my phone and fax values, the InvalidValue array tells me that I have a problem in Class Phone, propertyName number for both phone and fax.

What we need is a property to tell me the method hierarchy that was traversed to generate the validation error.

Something like a callStack returning a string: customer.contact.fax.number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:01 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If I recall, I partly implemented this stuff. post your sample to JIRA for me to test. Or even better, provide a patch :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:38 pm 
Regular
Regular

For any future readers of this thread, this functionality was implemented in beta 7.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]