-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: topdocs in hibernate search
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:02 pm 

Can anyone tell me how to access topdocs using Hibernate Search?

I really just want to be able to take the top docs and scores before Hibernate retrieves the documents. That way I can run them through an additional algorithm to determine what docs to load.

Thanks,
Mason

Post subject: Re: topdocs in hibernate search
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:24 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

what exactly do you want to achieve? Once the search is executed there is no way to change which documents/entities get loaded. What's about using a Filter?

FYI, the TopDocs are getting calculated in the org.hibernate.search.query.engine.impl.QueryHits. To do what you want we would need to make it possible for users to plug in a custom TopDocs collector. Would that help you?

--Hardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:56 pm 

Hardy, thanks for your help with this.

Here is a better explanation of what I would like to do, on a slightly silly example. Let's say I want to search, adding randomness to the results. For this I might want to have a formula that multiplies the document score by a random number from 0 to 1, then returns the top 10 documents. (Randomness would not be my actual criteria, but a more complex algorithm that takes user history into account to prioritize the results)

I have used filters with OpenBitMaps, but that only ends up filtering out unwanted docs based on binary results.

Lucene In Action has a very similar type problem of returning near by results geographically (6.1.3 Accessing values used in custom sorting). This however uses TopFieldDocs, a subclass of TopDocs.

Thanks,
Mason

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm 

Hardy, did my description make any sense to you?

Thanks,
Mason

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:58 pm 

I just tried a simple filter, with the following code:

Code:
public class RandomizeOrderFilter extends Filter{

private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

@Override
   public DocIdSet getDocIdSet(IndexReader reader) throws IOException {
      TermDocs termDocs = reader.termDocs(null);
      Random random = new Random();
      while (termDocs.next()) {
         reader.document(termDocs.doc()).setBoost(random.nextFloat());
      }

OpenBitSet bitSet = new OpenBitSet( reader.maxDoc() );
      bitSet.flip(0, reader.maxDoc());
      return bitSet;
   }

}

it iterated over all documents, not just the ones I am searching for. Also, changing the Boost at filter time doesn't seem to have any effect on the order of results returned by Hibernate Search/Lucene.

Any other thoughts on how this can be done in Hibernate Search?

Thanks,
Mason

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm 

I think I found a way to do this. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8179 ... g-function

Using a FieldComparator seems to work just fine!

Thanks,
Mason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:07 pm 

hardy.ferentschik wrote:
Hi,

what exactly do you want to achieve? Once the search is executed there is no way to change which documents/entities get loaded. What's about using a Filter?

FYI, the TopDocs are getting calculated in the org.hibernate.search.query.engine.impl.QueryHits. To do what you want we would need to make it possible for users to plug in a custom TopDocs collector. Would that help you?

--Hardy

Hardy...I've realized that using a FieldComparator doesn't give me access to the scores. I can override public void setScorer(Scorer scorer), and add "scorer.score(topScoreDocCollector);", but then only 1 result is ever returned.

Is there any known way to insert a functioning custom ScoreDocs or TopDocs collector?

Also, I've been looking through org.hibernate.search.query.engine.impl.QueryHits, but I cannot figure out what code initializes it, or how to access or override it.

Please help!
Thank you,
Mason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 am 

hardy.ferentschik wrote:
Hi,

--Hardy

Hi Hardy,
Is there any plan to support pluggable custom collector in Hibernate Search? Is there a plan to support lucene grouping in Hibernate Search? I have a use case which would be a lot easier to handle if Hibernate Search supports grouping.

Scenario:
I have a relational database which holds my products info. However, for each product, there are more than one version available. When user search my database, I want to:
1) for each product, the total hit count only counts on regardless how many version it has -- the hit count is the # of top groups;
2) display only one version for each product;
3) display how many versions are available for each product;
2) apply additional algorithm select a version for each product (among all different versions). The algorithm could be user's preset preferences (such as color, size), the creation of each version, etc.

Could you advise a practical solution with the current hibernate search? thanks a lot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]