-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: changing default property behavior
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:40 pm 

Section 2.2.2 of the hibernate annotations doc says:

Quote:
By default, every non static property of an entity bean is considered persistent, unless you annotate it as @Transient.

How do I reverse this behavior?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You cannot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 pm 

Is this planned for a future release? I hope so, because when adding hibernate to a legacy class (especially a fat, bloated legacy class), I'd rather mark the few fields I want to persist, instead of marking the rest of cruft as @Transient.

Anyway, I would suggest removing the "By default" from the docs, since it suggests that this option is configurable.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I fixed the doc, I'm not keen on making this feature configurable though, unless it's wildely requested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:32 pm 

Hehe, then consider this a +1 vote.

I think it makes sense as a feature, given hibernate's ability to work with any development style (model-centric, schema-centric, mapping-centric).

In my case, where I have a legacy model and schema, it is easier to annotate just the pieces of the model that I want to persist.

If I were working in greenland development, I would be generating everything off of my fresh new model, and would prefer the current approach: annotate what I don't want to persist (which probably wouldn't be that much).

Right now the latter approach requires only a few annotations. Making this an option would enable the former approach to also require only a few annotations.

Cheers!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]