-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Specifying column/table/index comments in DDL
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:06 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone knows what annotations to use to specify column, table, index comments such that they may be generated as part of the SQL DDL (I am using Hibernate 3.0 on JDK 1.5). I am using the forward-engineering approach to generate DDL for about 200+ tables but there are no comments being assigned to columns/tables and my DBAs are complaining.

Is this supported in Hibernate 3.0? EJB 3.0?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:50 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Especially for you, I have added a <comment> element to HB3 XML mappings. This will be in 3.0.4 and will work for any db which supports the "comment on ... is ... " syntax. (Unfortunately, this does not include MySQL.)

It would be trivial to add support for this feature to Hibernate Annotations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:17 pm 

Gavin, you are too kind :-). We are deeply indebted to you and the other team members for both Hibernate and now this feature.

Hopefully Emmanuel will add the functionality to the annotations package soon as well. Emmanual -- are you game? Pretty please? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:58 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

To be very honest, I'm not sure it fits well in an annotation. Imagine a 10 lines comment on top of your java class, hum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:07 am 

Emmanuel, I would love to get the annotations to allow setting the comment because right now I have about 200 tables fully defined through annotations and would hate to move to XML just for comments (which are very important). While it may seem ugly, it would be very useful to have table/column comments in the annotations. We are using forward-engineering table generation (DDL is generated by hibernate and a small script does minor modifications afterwards).

Would you mind going ahead and providing the support via annotations? For us, the only other thing we're waiting for within annotations is UUID generation support (bug is already present).

Your annotations support rocks! Keep up the great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:58 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Try and provide a patch. I'll accept it. This shouldn't be too hard.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]