-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need urgent help--Advantages and future of Hibernate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:43 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Guys,
I am in need of urgent help. Tomorrow there is a meeting to go with Hibernate or not. Can you guys give me a site to give more advantages of going to hibernate.

I read
http://www.hibernate.org/4.html
http://www.hibernate.org/38.html

I need more

Thanks
rbarun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:52 am 

You might be able to dig up some positive development experiences in the user forums at http://www.myeclipseide.com. Some of the users there are pretty hard core and I'm sure if you repeat the question there they could help you.

Good luck to you

Tom T

Post subject: Hi tom
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:05 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Tom, looks like link is broken..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:10 am 

Really?

Let me post it again ...

http://www.myeclipseide.com/

I was just there a second ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:16 am 

You may also want to check out

http://www.springframework.org

The Spring framework can simplify your Hibernate development efforts and certainly has helped us on our projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:16 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Tom
Thanks for you quick response, but I am on fire...

I am getting

Error
FW-1 at s0af008: Unknown WWW server.

What does it mean

Thanks
rbarun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:20 am 

It means your firewall can't get the IP address from whatever DNS server you are using at the moment. You may need to ask your network folks if they are having an issue with DNS name resolution at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:25 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tom
I am in middle of creating the document, please forgive if I ask you silly questions

1. What is the relationship between Spring framework and hibernate

I love these questions :-0

You get what you pay for, right? How can a free product possibly be as good as a commercial product that costs money?
Because open source works. Hibernate is no half-baked "free alternative". Indeed, we see it as a more sophisticated solution than the commercial competition. The Hibernate team, which includes several full-time, professional developers, dedicated to the Hibernate project, is committed to maintaining this technical leadership.

Should I believe what commercial vendors tell me about Hibernate?
Definitely not. At least one commercial competitor has made extremely misleading claims about Hibernate to potential customers and on their website. Feel free to fact-check their assertions by posting on the Hibernate user forum, or, if you are a prospective customer, emailing sales@jboss.com.

Damn, you guys sound so arrogant!
Yes, our product rocks.

Thanks
rbarun[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:27 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Once I am with the document, let me post it here. It is really interesting..

Thanks
rbarun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:53 am 

I'm lifting this from the http://hibernate.bluemars.net/110.html page but in the introduction section they say:

Quote:
Data Access with the Spring Framework
(featuring Hibernate examples)

Juergen Hoeller

July 2003

0. Preface: Spring Benefits for Hibernate Users
Spring's lightweight bean container offers IoC-style wiring up of business objects, DAOs, and resources like JDBC DataSources and Hibernate SessionFactories. Such an XML-defined application context is a powerful alternative to manually managed singletons or factories that parse their configuration from custom properties files. As non-intrusiveness is a central goal, such Spring-configured application beans do not need to depend on Spring interfaces or classes but get configured via their bean properties. This concept can be applied in any environment, be it a J2EE web app, a desktop app, or even an applet.

In the context of Hibernate, Spring's generic transaction management for DAOs is of particular interest. The goal is to separate data access and transaction demarcation aspects to allow for reusable transactional business objects that are not tied to any specific data access or transaction strategy. Demarcation can either happen programmatically via TransactionTemplate, or declaratively via the AOP TransactionInterceptor. Both native Hibernate / JDBC transactions and JTA are supported as strategies out-of-the-box. This is a viable alternative to local Stateless Session Beans.

Spring's HibernateTemplate offers a simple way to implement Hibernate-based DAOs without caring about handling Session instances or participating in transactions. No need for try-catch blocks, no need for transaction checks. A simple Hibernate access method can be a one-liner! Combining heterogeneous DAOs works seamlessly, both in terms of DAO interfaces and participating in transactions. For example, certain DAOs can be implemented on plain JDBC, preferably via Spring's JdbcTemplate to avoid manual exception handling.

You can use a lot of Spring's features respectively classes in a library style, as everything is designed as a set of reusable JavaBeans. Don't be discouraged by the fact that Spring can serve as full application framework too! The application context concept is an additional benefit, not a requirement for using other Spring features. In any case, you're invited to review and leverage the Spring approach, no matter to what extent, before deciding to take the effort and risk of building such infrastructure in-house.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]