-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Annotations: extending a superclass that has no annotations
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

I have a question related with annotations and polymorphism where the superclasses has no annotations at all. I would like to extend to existent classes (not persistent) with persistent subclasses (with annotations). Let's imagine this situation:

I have two superclasses, one of those uses the other

Code:
public class Driver {
}

public class Car {
      public Driver getDriver() {}
}

I would like to create to extend those two classes with persistent ones, let's say
Code:
@Entity
public class PersistentDriver extends Driver {
}

@Entity
public class PersistentCar extends Car {
    // THIS SHOULD RETURN A PERSISTENT DRIVER
     public Driver getDriver(){}
}

But, when registering the annotated classes in the
Code:
AnnotationConfiguration
, I get the exception
Code:
Could not determine type for: Driver
So, it is possible to subclass from classes that have not annotated attributes? Is there a way to return the Driver by using the PersistentDriver class?

Thanks in anticipation,

Bruno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:46 pm 

I have experienced a similar issue when I have interfaces rather than your concrete base classes which are not @Entity classes. I would like to develop to the interfaces and implement to the @Entity beans. However in my tests I receive the same exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:46 am 
Beginner
Beginner

With entities implementing interfaces you can use the parameter targetEntity in your one-to-manies, etc and it sould work ok... What I found after some test is that when you implement a base class (e.g. the getDriver method) you can put the @Transient annotation in the base method. However this creates a dependency with the base class and Hibernate and this is something I wanted to avoid. Is this expected behaviour?

Bruno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:36 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

elmosca wrote:
However this creates a dependency with the base class and Hibernate and this is something I wanted to avoid. Is this expected behaviour?

Bruno

This will change when the new EJB3 spec draft will be out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]