-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to properly close the Session/transaction?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:49 pm 

Hibernate version: 3.0

I couldn't find this in any docs or on google - what's the 100% proper way to close sessions? Normally, my code looks like:

Code:
AccountPrivilege ap = new AccountPrivilege();
      ap.setName(name);
      ap.setDescription(desc);

Session session = SessionFactory.currentSession();
      Transaction tx = session.beginTransaction();
      session.save(ap);
      tx.commit();
      SessionFactory.closeSession();

Is this good enough? Do I need to add any "on-server-shutdown" code?

The reason I ask is because when I run a page with this, I notice a SIGNIFICANT "lag" - aka my page takes almost .5 seconds to load (whereas without that code, it's instant).

A quick question: Is there any good examples of using "map" collection mapping? The stuff in the "docs" is impossible for new users to read, any help there?

THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:45 am 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
Is this good enough?

No. Make use of try-finally clauses to ensure cleanup. This is good practice for any resource that you access in java code. There is a decent example in the hibernate reference documentation at: http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... emarcation . You need to look a little harder.

Quote:
Do I need to add any "on-server-shutdown" code?

Well what server are you using? Any decent server e.g JBoss will handle this for you.

Quote:
Is there any good examples of using "map" collection mapping? The stuff in the "docs" is impossible for new users to read, any help there?
Buy the HIA book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:47 am 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
Is there any good examples of using "map" collection mapping? The stuff in the "docs" is impossible for new users to read, any help there?

Buy the HIA book. Better still - find out, and contribute an improvement to the docs if you feel they are unreadable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:13 pm 

What do you mean JBoss will handle it for me? I'm using Resin, and for some libraries I had to add some extra code on server shutdown, so it would close all the connections cleanly.

As for map - I don't think I'm ready to buy a book yet. Isn't there any good examples?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:32 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Have a look at http://www.hibernate.org/78.html
and download the caveat emptor app http://www.hibernate.org/159.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]