-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: PostgreSQL Dialect returns an OID for Types.BLOB??? Huh?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:47 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate version:
Hibernate 3 RC1

Name and version of the database you are using:
PostgreSQL 8

org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect returns "oid" for Types.BLOB. According to the PostgreSQL docs, OID types are used internally by PostgreSQL as primary keys. It should return "bytea" as net.sf.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect does... I'll log a Jira issue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:56 am 
Beginner
Beginner

This issue seems to indicate that it should be working but the source still returns "oid". It was working in Hibernate 2.x and I don't really follow the reason for the change to "oid" change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:05 am 
Beginner
Beginner

This is made evident by using the org.hibernate.tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaExport class. The generated DDL contains columns with a type of OID that should (I think) be "bytea".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:44 am 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

Both are valid for postgresql BLOBS, http://www.postgresql.org/files/documen ... ode96.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:17 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Interesting... when I use the column type "bytea" everything works fine, if I change it to "oid" i get the following error...

15:24:45.976 [WARN] [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] - SQL Error: 0, SQLState: 22P02
15:24:45.976 [ERROR] [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] - ERROR: invalid input syntax for type oid:...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Maybe it doesn't work with PostgreSQL 8...

If I follow the instructions mentioned on the castor page and add "compatible=7.1" to my jdbc connection URL the OID stuff works... that doesn't seem right to me... Maybe the current PostgeSQL dialect hasn't been tested with PostgreSQL 8.x?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I take it all back. Nothing wrong with BLOBs using Hibernate3 and PostgreSQL...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]