-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Validator - Field-level constraint performance
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:18 pm 

I'm on a project team that is using Hibernate Validator to validate all Strings in Entity fields as we pull data from our database.
We use Hibernate Validator 5.1.3, EclipseLink 2.5.2 and JPA 2.0.

There is a significant slow down when performing field level validation on a collection of entities with multiple field constraints.
On one test we are retrieving ~72,000 entities from the database, each with 8 constraints.
To validate all 72,000 entities, it takes 47 seconds, while without validation the test only takes 3 seconds to retrieve data from the database.
We've tested using only our custom constraints and using only built-in constraints (@NotNull), both show the same performance issue.
Some debugging shows that 46.5 seconds is spent after calling Validator.validate() and before reaching isValid().

However, when I set the annotation at class-level, and manually performing the required reflection and string validation on the entity inside isValid(), it only takes ~0.5 to complete validation for all 72,000 entities.

I would think Hibernate could naively handle this magnitude of field-level validation.
I didn't see any performance issues reported for Hibernate Validator 5.1.3.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Andre

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Validator - Field-level constraint performance
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:22 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I think you should open an issue on JIRA for this and detail the exact context. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Validator - Field-level constraint performance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Thanks for the issue.

for reference to other readers, it's: https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HV-1040

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]