-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Avoiding querying @IndexedEmbedded fields during index init
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:44 pm 

Hello,

We are using Hibernate Search (Hibernate 4.3.7 and Hibernate Search 4.5.1) in our system and we're using MassIndexer in order to initialize the index.
Our model looks approximately like this:
Code:
@Entity
@AccessType(AccessType.FIELD)
@Indexed
public class A {
   @Id
   private Long id;

@ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
   @IndexedEmbedded(includePaths = "id", indexNullAs = IndexedEmbedded.DEFAULT_NULL_TOKEN)
   private B b;
}

@Entity
@AccessType(AccessType.FIELD)
public class B {
   @Id
   private Long id;

private String name;
}

The problem is that when the index is being initialized, objects of class B are being fetched from the database although we need only an id from them in this case. Because of having to perform other actions after fetching objects of B from the database, our index initialization time increases dramatically.

What we've tried so far is doing a workaround like this
Code:
@ManyToOne(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
@Field(index = Index.NO, bridge = @FieldBridge(impl = FieldBridgeImpl.class))
private B b;

@Field
public Long getBId() {
   return b != null ? b.getId() : null;
}
but that didn't seem to help.

The javadoc of MassIndexer says that 'all indexed entities and their indexedEmbedded properties are scrolled from database'. So my question is - is there any way of stopping the indexer from querying the database in case we require only an id from an object (or even nothing at all if we just have to know whether it's null or not)? Or am I missing something here?

Post subject: Re: Avoiding querying @IndexedEmbedded fields during index init
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:44 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi Dmitry,

That's an interesting optimization, but we don't provide it yet. I've filed https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HSEARCH-2057 for this, I think it'd be a nice addition. Maybe you'd be interested in helping out with implementing it?

Cheers,

--Gunnar

Post subject: Re: Avoiding querying @IndexedEmbedded fields during index init
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:58 am 

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure I'll be able to provide a fix but I'd be glad to try. I'll check it out and see what I can do.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]