-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mass Indexer with c3P0 connection provider.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:23 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

I am using MassIndexer for indexing. While the massindexer works fine with hibernate's default connection provider, when I move to C3P0 connection provider, the application acquire's a lock on index file but does nothing. The application doesn't throw any excpetion either. The request just wait for a long time and I dont see anything happening, its more like a thread having acquired lock but doing nothing on it. Any idea what would be possible prob ?

Code:
FullTextSession ftSession = SessionUtil.getFullTextSessionInstance();

ftSession.getTransaction().begin();
      try {

ftSession.createIndexer(Employee.class)
         .batchSizeToLoadObjects(100)
         .cacheMode(CacheMode.IGNORE)
         .threadsToLoadObjects(10)
         .threadsForSubsequentFetching(25)
         .startAndWait();

} catch (InterruptedException e) {
         e.printStackTrace();
         log.error("InterruptedException in "+CLASS_NAME+":indexRecord() >>", e);
      }

Configuration Fields

Code:
<property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class">oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</property>
         <property name="hibernate.connection.url">jdbc:oracle:thin:@test:1522:Domain</property>
         <property name="hibernate.connection.username">test</property>
         <property name="hibernate.connection.password">pwd</property>
         <property name="hibernate.connection.pool_size">10</property>
         <property name="connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider</property>
         <property name="c3p0.acquire_increment">1</property>
         <property name="c3p0.idle_test_period">100</property>
         <property name="c3p0.max_size">10</property>
         <property name="c3p0.max_statements">0</property>
         <property name="c3p0.min_size">5</property>
         <property name="c3p0.timeout">1800</property>

<property name="current_session_context_class">thread</property>       
              <property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider</property>
         <property name="show_sql">true</property>
         <property name="dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect</property>
         <property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto">update</property>

<!-- Hibernate search configuration  -->
         <property name="hibernate.search.default.directory_provider">org.hibernate.search.store.FSDirectoryProvider</property>
         <property name="hibernate.search.default.indexName">Index</property>
         <property name="hibernate.search.default.indexBase">/indexes</property>
         <property name="hibernate.search.default.batch.merge_factor">10</property>
         <property name="hibernate.search.default.batch.max_buffered_docs">10</property>

Post subject: Re: Mass Indexer with c3P0 connection provider.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:11 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Did you check the logs? Have you enabled debug logging?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:23 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You're asking him to use 25 threads for subsequent fetching, plus 10 to load the objects, 1 is implicit to load the identifiers = total 36 open Sessions needed at the same time.
But you've limited c3p0 to not open more than 10 connections at the same time, so it's basically waiting for more connections to be available, but c3p0 will never give more than 10; unfortunately Hibernate can't warn you about this as it has no control/knowledge on the connection provider - you have to do the math and either raise the number of connections to at least 40, or lower the number of threads used during massindexing.

I'll see if we can add an additional thread monitoring for this, but I don't think it can actually recover. Please see, comment and provide suggestions/patches on:HSEARCH-598

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 am 

I am facing the same problem https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1035246. In this I am using default configurations of startAndWait(). BoneCp with bonecp.maxConnectionsPerPartition value of 25. I monitored number for active connections It doesn't exceed 10 it means still more connections are available but what is the problem ?????

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Which version? this problem was resolved in version 4.5.x so I suspect it's not related to limits on the connection anymore.
Are you sure it's not just working? Please share a threaddump and exact version numbers, we can try see from there where it is stuck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]