-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [HV] Applying a constraint on an enumeration type
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 pm 

Hi,

I have a simple example where I need to define a constraint on a field which is an enumeration type. Basically, I want to make sure that this enumeration type field has a specific value.

How can I achieve that? I'm using the programmatic API but I didn't find anything specific to enumeration types.

Is it possible and if yes how ?

Regards,
BQ.

PS: Here is what I have:

public enum ProductStatus {
active,
inactive
}

public class Product {
ProductStatus status;
}

And the constraint I'm trying to define:
constraintMapping.type(Product.class).property("status", ElementType.FIELD).constraint( ??? );

Where ??? could be for instance:

new ValidLiteralDef(ProductStatus.class, ProductStatus.inactive);

Post subject: Re: [HV] Applying a constraint on an enumeration type
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hey,

What you want to achieve is not possible due to limitations of the Java annotation system. In particular one can't have an annotation member which takes any enumeration value (Enum<?>), one can only define annotation members which accept one specific enumeration type.

As the programmatic API is resembling the possiblities of annotation-based constraint declaration, the same limitation applies there. So you'd have to define a custom constraint annotation type for this. The reference guide disscusses in [1] in detail this particular case of creating a constraint based on an enumeration.

You could then declare constraints of that type via the API (see [2] for more details):

Code:
constraintMapping
    .type(Product.class)
        .property("status", ElementType.FIELD)
            .constraint( new GenericConstraintDef<>( ProductStatusOf.class )
                .param( "value", ProductStatus.ACTIVE )
            );

Hth,

--Gunnar

[1] http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en-US/html_single/#validator-customconstraints-simple
[2] http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en-US/html_single/#section-programmatic-api

Post subject: Re: [HV] Applying a constraint on an enumeration type
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm 

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]