-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: freeze on MassIndexer.startAndWait
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:01 pm 

Hi,

I am struggling with freeze while executing MassIndexer.startAndWait:
Code:
[Hibernate Search: entityloader-1] DEBUG org.hibernate.loader.Loader - Result row: EntityKey[domain.Category#2], null, EntityKey[domain.Country#1], EntityKey[domain.Continent#1], null, EntityKey[domain.Page#1]

2012-06-19 23:38:59,885 [Hibernate Search: entityloader-1] DEBUG org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InjectionMetadata - Processing injected method of bean 'domain.Country': PersistenceElement for transient javax.persistence.EntityManager domain.Country.entityManager

Page should be indexed. It contains @ManyToOne Country which contains @ManyToOne Continent. I use @IndexedEmbedded on country and continent members.

It appears that this error is connected with the fact that all domain objects have EntityManager injected in the following way (I have used Spring Roo to generate the initial code):

Code:
@PersistenceContext
transient EntityManager entityManager;

public static final EntityManager entityManager() {
        EntityManager em = new Continent().entityManager;
        if (em == null) throw new IllegalStateException("Entity manager has not been injected (is the Spring Aspects JAR configured as an AJC/AJDT aspects library?)");
        return em;
    }

When I simply remove @PersistenceContext for tests, the project starts correctly.

MassIndexer is started in the service:
Code:
@Service
public class SearcherImpl {

@PersistenceContext
   transient EntityManager entityManager;

public SearcherImpl() {
   }

@PostConstruct
   private void postConstruct() throws InterruptedException {
      FullTextEntityManager fullTextEntityManager = Search.getFullTextEntityManager(entityManager);
      fullTextEntityManager.createIndexer().threadsToLoadObjects(1).threadsForSubsequentFetching(1).batchSizeToLoadObjects(1).startAndWait();
   }
...}

I am using Hibernate 4.1.4.Final, Hibernate Search 4.1.1.Final, Spring 3.1.1.RELEASE, JPA, MySQL, Tomcat 7.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Thanks for help in advance.

Post subject: Re: freeze on MassIndexer.startAndWait
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:57 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,
I've never seen it, but injecting the EntityManager in the domain object looks like a terrible idea.

If you can make a unit test so that I can reproduce it without having to learn Spring Roo, I'd be happy to look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 am 

I am still not sure what was wrong but after delaying instantiation of the service the project started to work. I simply removed
Code:
@Service
annotation and added
Code:
<bean class="service.impl.SearcherImpl"></bean>
to webmvc-config.xml. As a result, the service is created at the end and startAndWait finishes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I don't know exactly how your change helps, but I guess it was deadlocking on the amount of connections it opens.

I guess you have a connection pool to the database, and the MassIndexer uses a lot of connections to try loading as much data in parallel as possible; maybe your previous pattern was reserving some open connections.

Hibernate doesn't need to open connections eagerly, but common patterns with Spring force that practice. Technically the JDBC specification should allow me to use a single connection from multiple threads in parallel, but most drivers will break if I do :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]