-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Indexing the last element in a collection
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:32 pm 
Pro
Pro

Hi,

I have the following setup
Code:
@OneToMany(cascade={ CascadeType.ALL },orphanRemoval=true,mappedBy="post",fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
@BatchSize(size = 10)
@Cache(usage=CacheConcurrencyStrategy.NONSTRICT_READ_WRITE,region=CacheRegion.WALL)
@Field(name="placeholder")
@FieldBridge(impl=CommentFieldBridge.class)
@OrderBy
public Set<Comment> getComments() {
   return comments;
}

This fieldbridge is responsible for indexing the last element in the Set of comments with the Post.

Code:
public class CommentFieldBridge implements FieldBridge{

@Override
   public void set(String name, Object value, Document document, LuceneOptions options) {
      Set<Comment> comments = (Set<Comment>) value;
        }

First a few observations:
1. All the comments are being loaded in the field bridge, regardless of the setting BatchSize. It would make more sense to me to preload the @BatchSize and load the rest on demand. I'm wondering: what if there are 10.000 comments? I'm also wondering if this behaviour (loading all children when a new child is added) is normal or caused by the use of the FieldBridge?

Then the question: how to best implement this in a way that is performant and scalable? Obviously, loading all comments by default in the Fieldbridge is neither.
* I was thinking of adding an extra field to the Post class.
Code:
Set<Comment> Comments = new HashSet<Comment>();
Comment lastComment;

public void addComments(Comment comment){
   comments.add(comment);
   lastComment = comment;
}

@ManyToOne
public Comment getLastComment(){
   return lastComment;
}

* I'm not too sure what would be the best setting for cascading with a combination of a @ManyToOne and a @OneToMany that point to the same object.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Marc

Post subject: Re: Indexing the last element in a collection
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi Marc,
since it's a Set it's expected that you want to load all comments as soon as you trigger initialization of the collection via any method on it.

You might be wanting an ordered collection instead (such as List) or maybe a Map if you would have a suitable object for the keys of the map.
Also, have a look at mapping options such as "extra-lazy" and different fetching strategies: http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/4. ... e-fetching

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:38 pm 
Pro
Pro

Thanks Sanne,

That makes sense. I've read a lot about Sets and Lists and Hibernate. Stuff like, if you use a List, any change to it will lead to deletion of all the List items and reinsertion, which didn't make sense to me, so I tended towards Sets, which seemed a more natural way to express many things anyways.
But this extra-lazy stuff looks great. Wonder why it isn't the default.

Cheers,
Marc

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:13 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
Wonder why it isn't the default.

because there are many use cases in which fetching all at once is more efficient. It likely is, unless you expect large collections.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]