-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Readonly index sharing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 am 

I need to implement a "site search" functionality for a web site.
All content is updated on the backend server, where indexing takes place, and queries are run on two frontend servers, where the web application is hosted.
How do I make the index available to the frontend servers?

I've read about JMS, JGroups, Infinistore and all this fine stuff, but they seem overkill for my needs.
I'd just be happy with a scheduled cron copy of the index across machines via scp or similar.

Will I get a corrupted index copy if I transfer the index during an indexing operation?
In such a case, is there anything simple around this?

My servers are hosted on EC2 instances (if that makes any difference).

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Readonly index sharing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 am 

Well I think I got it: the backend is a filesystem-master and the cron task can transfer the copy over to the frontend servers whenever.

On the backend:

hibernate.search.default.directory_provider=filesystem-master
hibernate.search.default.sourceBase=/tmp/thecopy

On the frontend I just leave the default settings.

(it feels lonely to be the only one to answer your own posts :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:57 am 

Should I also use a filesystem-slave on the frontend, just to be totally safe?
I'd copy the index via scp to the "source" location of the slave instead of overwriting the main index itself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:11 am 

Is locking going to mess with my setup?

What if I copy the index over while the master is writing the copy (aka source)?
Will I copy the lock file as well? Will the slave be influenced by a lock file in its own copy?

My understanding is that the creation of the index copy is not "atomic" (like a directory rename) because it is "incremental ... to reduce the copy time" (from the docs). So I'm not sure the whole thing is going to work yet...

Please advise!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
(it feels lonely to be the only one to answer your own posts :-)

Give us some time ;) it's saturday early morning, and long holidays as well !

Quote:
I'd just be happy with a scheduled cron copy of the index across machines via scp or similar.

that's basically what the master/slave do, as you have figured out. The difference over scp / rsync is that having the backend trigger the copy, it knows when it's safe to do (it's in sync with it's own timer to switch writing to the other directory).

Quote:
Should I also use a filesystem-slave on the frontend, just to be totally safe?

yes

Quote:
Will I copy the lock file as well?

up to you, if you do that with your own script.. it's not needed but should not make trouble on the slaves;

Quote:
Will the slave be influenced by a lock file in its own copy?

No, since the slaves should not write to it. They will get an exception if attempting to write to it, so it might be safer to keep the lock so you will notice that some configuration is wrong ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]