-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: consumed memory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:44 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi all,

I think I am facing a problem with my memory in my JBoss hibernate Search project.

I am using 3.4.1 Hibernate Search library and JBOSSAS 6.1.0.Final. The development server has 2.5 GB of memory. The JVM has 1GB assigned.

I changed all my hbm files to lazy=true because other way the system did not work efficiently and all the memory was consumed.

After two days executing queries, the development system seems to consume almost all the memory leaving just about 200MB. I don't know if the project can consume all the memory causing trobles to the JBoss.

I would like to put my project in my production system but I do not know if this could be a problem.

Thanks in advance,

Hibernator,

Post subject: Re: consumed memory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:53 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

this is a hard question to answer with the information you provided. How much memory was consumed directly after the start? Do you have any caches configured which are filling up? In this case you have to measure the memory consumption after a warm up period. Also, does the memory footprint increase even further maybe even leading to a OutOfMemory exception. I think you don't get around a load test, including some profiling. You want to find out which objects are consuming the memory. It might not even be Hibernate (Search) related.

Setup a load test and attach with a profiler. Once you know where the memory is consumed it will be much easier to find the exact cause of the problem.

--Hardy

Post subject: Re: consumed memory
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:09 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

To add to Hardy's reply, I'd not be concerned unless you can find a problem: with Java servers it's natural that they try to use most available memory to make the most out of it. You definitely want to have a look with a profiler, or memory consumption alone isn't a good metric.

Also, you could enable GC activity logging by using the Java command line parameters; an indication of your system suffering from lack of memory is frequent and long garbage collection runs, especially if they are of the "stop the world" type.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]