-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Searching on numeric fields
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi again,

Is it true that I need to use range queries (by using NumericFieldUtils for example) to be able to search on numeric fields?
The documentation says nothing about it and, if I remember correctly, I was able to search on numeric field by using an ordinary Lucene query parser.
However, I don't get it to work at the moment, so maybe it never worked without using a range query?

Post subject: Re: Searching on numeric fields
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi Elmer,
no NumericFields are a feature of latest Lucene versions: if you use them you can have some benefits, but they are not mandatory you can always use the old-style numeric encoding.

Remember that when you don't use NumericFields, you will likely want to apply some padding (leading zeros), and you will need to apply the same padding when searching. Finally, when using the Lucene Query Parser it will apply an analyzer on your input text, that might not be desirable! I'd stick with the programmatic approach do define the query.

See also the various PaddedIntegerBridge examples in the documentation.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]