-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: search with filtering on collection
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm 

Hi there,

I have the following mapping in hibernate/hibernate search:

entity B{
some other properties that go in filtering below (such as title)
property enum status [ACTIVE|INACTIVE]
}

entity A{
Set<entity B> Bs
}

my search results are always A, and i'd like to search for A items containing ACTIVE B entities with a specific title

ex A.B = { (title1, ACTIVE), (title2, ACTIVE), (title3, INACTIVE)}
in this case a search for title3 shouldn't bring any A results as the status filtering is always applied

however, the way i wrote my query (a boolean query where i append this: query.add(qb.keyword().onField("A.B.status").matching(ACTIVE).createQuery(), MUST);

the example above will actually bring the title3 result just because the index contains 2 other occurences of A.B.Status equal to ACTIVE.

many thanks for any idea on how to fix this!

-val

Post subject: Re: search with filtering on collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

this is maybe a misconception on your part. Hibernate Search won't filter collection items away. You are doing a search for instances of class A. Obviously the instance with two active B instances and one inactive one is a match to your query. In this case entity A is returned fully populated (give or take lazy loading). Search is not removing collection elements!

You can of course let your search return instances of B, meaning you search the B index. Whether this is of any use for you depends on the usecase. In Hibernate Core you can specify a 'where' condition for collection loading. In this case you could restrict the loading in a way that only B instances with an active status will be loaded. But this of course something completely different.

--Hardy

Post subject: Re: search with filtering on collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 am 

thanks for your answer!

i see my post wasn't clear enough or i don't completely get the answer. I didn't mean the search would remove collection items. on the contrary, the collections are flattened (see para 4.2.1from hibernate search in action), ie all items in a collections associated with container A get into the same lucene field.

I could build the query the other way (from B to A) -- only to filter on this condtion, or -- i have heard -- using filters? I'd like some feedback on this latter as the first approach might involve too much work ( i have multiple advanced search queries that do query on many fields (almost all fields in entity and associations even) --this is the requirement really, they say that it might be useful for reporting purposes)

So, could anyone provide me with an example of a working filter?

For now i can think of a filter that would be something like a list of (+id:id1 +status:active) where the first param would be injected, only problem is i'd need an extra query to find all the ids of B belonging to A. i hope there is a better solution than this.

many thanks,
-val

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]