-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: JSR 303 Validator - Custom error message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:27 am 

I have been looking through the documentation and am uncertain as to what the correct way of defining a custom error message when creating a custom validator to the JSR 303 standard is

I have created the following interface
Code:
@Target(TYPE)
@Retention(RUNTIME)
@Constraint(validatedBy = DateOfBirthIsValidValidator.class)
@Documented
@ReportAsSingleViolation
public @interface DateOfBirthIsValid {
   String message() default "A valid date of birth is required for all passengers";
    Class<?>[] groups() default {};
    Class<? extends Payload>[] payload() default {};
}

And the following implementation
Code:
public class DateOfBirthIsValidValidator implements ConstraintValidator<DateOfBirthIsValid, PassengerListItem>{
    @Override
    public void initialize(DateOfBirthIsValid dateOfBirthIsValid) {}
    @Override
    public boolean isValid(PassengerListItem passengerListItem, ConstraintValidatorContext constraintValidatorContext) {
   if (passengerListItem.dob is not valid) etc etc etc
   return false;
   }
}

What I would like to do is to create a custom error message if I am returning false the object I am validating has name information and I would like to return a custom string built from that data.

What is the correct way of doing this, I have played around with the ConstraintValidatorContext object calling the buildConstraintViolationWithTemplate() method and get no custom error message in the response object, just the default message as defined in the interface

I am in essence calling the validation into play using a javax.validation.ValidatorFactory to create a validation instance

I would appreciate a deeper understanding of what I should do if someone could provide it. I apologise if I have missed a previous posting asking the same question.

Thanks

Chris

Post subject: Re: JSR 303 Validator - Custom error message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Using the ConstraintValidatorContext is the right approach. How did your code look like? If you don't want the default error message. Something like this:
Code:
constraintValidatorContext.disableDefaultConstraintViolation();
constraintValidatorContext.buildConstraintViolationWithTemplate( "my error"  ).addConstraintViolation();

Make sure that you call addConstraintViolation - only after this call the new message/violation gets added.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 am 

Hi Hardy

Thanks for the information, that was what I thought you were supposed to do and what I had tried unfortunately it does not seam to me to work.

in the Validator implementation I have this code

Code:
    @Override
    public boolean isValid(PassengerListItem pax, ConstraintValidatorContext constraintValidatorContext) {

String paxName      = pax.getRPH() == null ? "" : pax.getRPH();
      String errorMessage = null;

try {
          paxName = String.format("%s %s %s", pax.getName().getNamePrefix().getBodyText(), pax.getName().getGivenName().getBodyText(), pax.getName().getSurname().getBodyText());

} catch (Exception e) {}

Reason response = isValid(pax, paxName);

switch (response) {

case Valid:
             return true;

case InvalidDOB:
             errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, requires a valid date of birth", paxName);
             break;

case MaxAge:

if (pax.isAdult())
                 errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, is to old to be classified as an adult for this holiday", paxName);

else if (pax.isChild() || pax.isFreeChild())
                 errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, is to old to be classified as a child for this holiday", paxName);

else if (pax.isInfant())
                 errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, is to old to be classified as a infant for this holiday", paxName);

break;

case MinAge:

if (pax.isAdult())
                 errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, is to young to be classified as an adult for this holiday", paxName);

else if (pax.isChild() || pax.isFreeChild())
                 errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, is to young to be classified as an child for this holiday", paxName);

else if (pax.isInfant())
                 errorMessage = String .format("Passenger %s, is to young to be classified as an infant for this holiday", paxName);

break;

}

if (errorMessage != null) {
          constraintValidatorContext.buildConstraintViolationWithTemplate( errorMessage ).addConstraintViolation();
       }
       return false;
    }

I call the validation code from a org.springframework.validation.Validator object which executes this code

Code:
  private ValidatorFactory   factory        = Validation.buildDefaultValidatorFactory();
  private Validator             validator      = null;

/**
     * validate
     * @param obj - the object to validate
     * @param errors - the errors object to populate
     * @param classHierarchy - the class hierarchy to use to indicate to the
     */
    public void validate(Object obj, Errors errors, Class<?> classHierarchy) {
        if (obj == null)
            return;

if (this.validator == null)
           this.validator = factory.getValidator();

ArrayList<String> alreadyReported = new ArrayList<String>();

Set<ConstraintViolation<Object>> constraintViolations = this.validator.validate(obj, classHierarchy);

if (constraintViolations.isEmpty())
            return;

for (ConstraintViolation<Object> constraintViolation : constraintViolations) {

String errorCode = obj.getClass().getSimpleName() + "." +constraintViolation.getPropertyPath();

errorCode = properties.getProperty(errorCode,errorCode);

if (alreadyReported.contains(errorCode))
               continue;

alreadyReported.add(errorCode);

if (loggerIsDebug)
               logger.debug(String.format("Validation error code [%s] Message : [%s} ",errorCode,constraintViolation.getMessage()));

errors.reject(errorCode, constraintViolation.getMessage());

}
    }

I have stepped through the code, the error messages is updated to the context, it simply does not come out when I loop through the error instances, the default message appears instead

And ideas of where to look would be appreciated, I am using the 4.02 GA version of code if that helps any

Thank you

Chris March

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:19 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

Your approach seems correct at least from a Validator point of view. I don't know anything about the Spring integration. Maybe you should post on the Spring forum as well.
Have you tried to write a unit test which tests your Validator independently from the Spring part?
I am also a little confused about the parameter name classHierarchy
Code:
this.validator.validate(obj, classHierarchy);

The second parameter is the validation groups and has nothing to do with a class hierarchy, but maybe that's just bad naming.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:33 am 

Hi Hardy

I am as convinced as I can be that this is not doing as I think it should be and is a bug if you create these classes it will show the bug, I can send yo a zip of the classes to save you the time of creating the classes if you wish but I don't see a way of attaching a zip here

First the basic Annotation definition

Code:
package com.ttsltd.test;

import static java.lang.annotation.ElementType.TYPE;
import static java.lang.annotation.RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME;

import java.lang.annotation.Documented;
import java.lang.annotation.Retention;
import java.lang.annotation.Target;

import javax.validation.Constraint;
import javax.validation.Payload;
import javax.validation.ReportAsSingleViolation;

@Target(TYPE)
@Retention(RUNTIME)
@Constraint(validatedBy = TestValidator.class)
@Documented
@ReportAsSingleViolation
public @interface IsValid {
   Class<?>[] groups() default {};
   String message() default "Default error message";
   Class<? extends Payload>[] payload() default {};
}

Now its implementation

Code:
package com.ttsltd.test;

import javax.validation.ConstraintValidator;
import javax.validation.ConstraintValidatorContext;

public class TestValidator implements ConstraintValidator<IsValid, DummyTestClass>{

@Override
   public void initialize(IsValid isValid) {}

@Override
   public boolean isValid(DummyTestClass dummyTestClass, ConstraintValidatorContext constraintValidatorContext) {
      constraintValidatorContext.buildConstraintViolationWithTemplate("Changed error message").addConstraintViolation();
      return false;
   }
}

This is a dummy class definition to operate on it has no fields as I could see no point in the test context

Code:
package com.ttsltd.test;
@IsValid(groups=TestChecks.class)
public class DummyTestClass {}

Now the interface definition to define the group that it should only run the test against

Code:
package com.ttsltd.test;
public interface TestChecks {}

And finally a junit test case

Code:
package com.ttsltd.test;

import static org.junit.Assert.*;

import java.util.Set;

import javax.validation.ConstraintViolation;
import javax.validation.Validation;
import javax.validation.Validator;
import javax.validation.ValidatorFactory;

import org.junit.Test;
public class TestClass {
   @Test
   public void test() throws Exception {

ValidatorFactory  factory           = Validation.buildDefaultValidatorFactory();
      Validator         validator         = factory.getValidator();
      DummyTestClass dummyTestClass = new DummyTestClass();

Set<ConstraintViolation<DummyTestClass>> constraintViolations = validator.validate(dummyTestClass, TestChecks.class);

for (ConstraintViolation<DummyTestClass> instance : constraintViolations)
         assertEquals("Changed error message", instance.getMessage());
   }
}

Basically my test case instantiates a new instance of DummyTestClass and runs the validation code against the instance, as the code testValidator instance is failing and altering the templae message I would expect the code to return the "Changed error message" it doesn't it returns the Deafult error message instead

I think this is incorrect see junit stack trace response below

Code:
org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<[Changed] error message> but was:<[Default] error message>
   at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:123)
   at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:145)
   at com.ttsltd.test.TestClass.test(TestClass.java:34)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
   at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
   at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
   at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
   at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:76)
   at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:50)
   at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:193)
   at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:52)
   at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:191)
   at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:42)
   at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:184)
   at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:236)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:46)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)

Can you let me have you thoughts

I appreciate your help by the way

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

I recommend you bundle everything up and attach it to a new Jira issue in HV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 am 

I have created a jira to cover this the reference is http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HV-297

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:40 am 

Hi Hardy

Thanks for your help in locating the problem

Kind Regards

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Thanks for reporting the bug :)
The problem is fixed on trunk now. A first beta release of Validator 4.1.0 will be out soon.

--Hardy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]