-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: can hibernate search support number range searches
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:54 pm 

Hi,

I am in the process of evaluating search engines like lucene, hibernate search etc. I understand that they support text searches. Wondering if the hibernate search would allow a numeric range search. I mean, for example, if i have a loan amount field in the entity "LOAN" and its indexes, I would like to search all loans that have a loan amount between 100,000 and 200,000.

I appreciate any response on this.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: can hibernate search support number range searches
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,
just to point out that Lucene is the de-facto standard, being tremendously succesfull and likely the most tested searching engine available, being chosen quite often for good reasons.
Also Hibernate Search is not an alternative/competitor to Lucene, as it uses Lucene as fulltext engine. The purpose of using Hibernate Search is to provide sensible helpers to simpllify the index management and integration with databases through Hibernate, it eases mapping from object oriented entities to the index.

About numeric range queries, yes they are supported, initially in a quite problematic way but since the latest Lucene version 3.0 there's a highly optimized implementation; this is also available in the backport in Lucene 2.9.x, which is the currently used version by Hibernate Search (but the next version coming out soon will target 3.0).
So yes, they are not a problem, provided you understand how to implement them: http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/SearchNumericalFields

Post subject: Re: can hibernate search support number range searches
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 am 

Great. Thanks for your quick response. I will look into the details you provided and get back to you.

Thanks Again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]