-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Extending existing annotation interfaces
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm 

Hi All

I have spent a fair amount of time today trying to implement a new implementation of an existing validation annotation @Size. My use case means that I am validating a set of classes which wrap a string object in in an outer class:

Code:
public class SimpleElement {
    private String innerString = null;
}

My aim was to declare an annotation such as this

@Size(min=1)
private SimpleElement name = null;

and process it using code like this

Code:
public class SizeValidatorForSimpleElementType implements ConstraintValidator<Size, SimpleElementType>{
    private SizeValidatorForString sizeValidatorForString = null;

@Override
    public void initialize(Size size) {
        this.sizeValidatorForString = new SizeValidatorForString();
        this.sizeValidatorForString.initialize(size);
    }

@Override
    public boolean isValid(SimpleElementType value, ConstraintValidatorContext context) {
        return sizeValidatorForString.isValid(value == null ? null : value.getBodyText() , context);
    }
}

I was expecting to have to indicate to the factory in some way that it should supplement its standard mappings with an additional map of entries.

I have looked quite deeply and failed to find a methodology of doing this, the factory seems to use the org.hibernate.validator.metadata.ConstraintHelper class to map the entries. The factory also sees to implement a single instance of this class which it manages in a private manner so that it is not exposed in order that the inner mappings can be extended.

I am more than aware that the factory must have a method of mapping the interface to the implementations, I am though surprised that the factory does not allow the existing mappings to be extended or overridden.

Am I missing something, is there a deeply veiled way of doing this that I am missing, the alternative is that I implement my own identical version of the Size attribute and map it using the @Constraint annotation as per the examples, but this just seems daft to me.

If anyone can help and point me at a method of doing this I would appreciate it, I am also genuinely interested in the reasoning behind the code being non extensible in this way is there something in jsr303 that I have missed that prohibits this?

I appreciate any answers to this even if it is just to point me at at a thread I have failed to find in my numerous searches of the user groups.

Thanks In advance

Chris

Post subject: Re: Extending existing annotation interfaces
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The intended way to solve your use case is to add a xml configuration file with the following content:

Code:
<constraint-mappings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                     xsi:schemaLocation="http://jboss.org/xml/ns/javax/validation/mapping validation-mapping-1.0.xsd"
                     xmlns="http://jboss.org/xml/ns/javax/validation/mapping">
    <constraint-definition annotation="javax.validation.constraints.Size">
        <validated-by include-existing-validators="true">
            <value>fully.qualified.classname.for.SizeValidatorForSimpleElementType</value>
        </validated-by>
    </constraint-definition>
</constraint-mappings>

You specify the location and the name of this custom constraint mapping file in validation.xml using the constraint-mapping node.

Check the Validator online documentation as well - http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/ ... figuration

--Hardy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]