-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Search-populating lucene index from database
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:59 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello there:

In the Hibernate Search tutorial "1.4. Indexing ", there is a code to populate the lucene index from a database.
My question is..... Where do i have to put that code ?.
In a session bean with a certain method executed right after the web application starts?

I'll appreciate the help.

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Search-populating lucene index from database
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:16 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi kmilo,
it depends on you application :-) Usually indexes are stored on filesystem (you might have configured it differently) so when your application restarts you don't need to reindex your database.
You mention session beans so I guess we're talking about EJBs?
If you know the database, schema, or application mapping changed after a redeploy then yes you should reindex the database; otherwise it's not needed.
In a similar situation I had created an MBean to reindex it all, so I could have the application server admin reindex the database as needed; a Session bean could do the same job, but there are situations in which you don't want to reindex it all: it might be a time-consuming task.

BTW there's a new reindexing routine in the latest beta: http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/HibernateSearch32FastIndexRebuild
but yet again when you want to start it, that's up to your needs.

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Search-populating lucene index from database
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:29 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you !!
Right now, I'm using a method in the MBean constructor that populate the lucene index. (This could be wrong, but im just testing hibernate search).
Thank you for answer (you probably don't know how hard is to find help in a support forum).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]