-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello World example will not run with 3.1.3 production code
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:36 pm 

HibernateUtil is not included in this distro..
I saw other posts talking about this issue.
3.20 CR4 includes this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:18 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No Hibernate distribution includes a HibernateUtil class, except in the tutorials of the documentation. If you want to have source code for the book, wait until I release it.

Post subject: I was not plain in post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:47 am 

Sorry Christian,
Was I was trying to point out in post that the way the book is currently ordered is..
1.It appears when reading the book if one was new to hibernate that the HelloWorld code would "run" prior to your introducing the persistence.HibernateUtils class and that in the rc the java file does actually exists so that a "newbie" might be confused and waste learning time.

You might want to reorder pages in final draft for aggressive programmer.

Post subject: Re: I was not plain in post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:23 am 

mikeshay wrote:
You might want to reorder pages in final draft for aggressive programmer.

My thoughts exactly. I had done the Hibernate tutorial in the past so I knew what to look for.

If this would have been my first introduction to Hibernate, I would have given up on this book by paragraph "Storing and loading objects" when it says "if you feel confident enough, you can already try two other Hibernate features". This is because I wrote the code by hand following the flow of the book and the code won't work without configuration files and HibernateUtil which will be talked about in the upcoming chapter.

If possible, please change the flow so that hand written code will be complete and run as expected.

Cheers,

Jarkko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
If this would have been my first introduction to Hibernate, I would have given up on this book by paragraph "Storing and loading objects" when it says "if you feel confident enough, you can already try two other Hibernate features". This is because I wrote the code by hand following the flow of the book and the code won't work without configuration files and HibernateUtil which will be talked about in the upcoming chapter.

I don't understand that. The sentence "if you feel confident enough" means "don't try it if you don't know what is going on". So you say the problem is that people will try and fail?

I will see if I can move that subsection, but it's probably not possible. I personally don't see a good reason to move it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:15 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Oh, I see what is wrong: you think that "you can try the following" means "go ahead and run it". I will change that into "you can add the following to the code to run it later".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:30 pm 

christian wrote:
you think that "you can try the following" means "go ahead and run it".

That's correct.

christian wrote:
I will change that into "you can add the following to the code to run it later".

That would make thinks clearer for me. Thank you for your reply.

- Jarkko

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]