-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: To EJB or not to be
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:45 pm 

I read section 8.1.2 “Using Hibernate in a EJB container” with great interest. As far as EJB I am a newbie and am trying to get a grip on the whole philosophy.

I understand the working of the “EJB command pattern” and can see the obvious benefit of it as apposed to “Session façade” pattern.

My question is – why bother with the EJB container at all? Surely the servlet can perform functions like load sharing, fail safe tolerance and transaction coordination? What is the EJB actually giving you that cannot be performed with simpler methods?

Thanks for a great book!

Richard Schmidt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:34 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It's providing a standard programming model, runtime environment, and deployment options for these cross-cutting concerns. Servlets don't, its "do it yourself and see if it works".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:21 pm 
Regular
Regular

I am looking for the source code for the CaveatEmptorFacade and CaveatEmptorFacadeBean but I am unable to find in the latest release of the CaveatEmptor package. Is it out somewhere or is what the book has all there is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:16 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

http://caveatemptor.hibernate.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:54 am 
Regular
Regular

The ejb examples from chapter 8 are not in the latest code, I am trying to follow how it was configured and am unable to see it from the code in the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:19 pm 
Regular
Regular

I am trying to set up an application using hibernate and the session facade ejb pattern. I am running Eclipse v3.1 m4 and myeclipse plugins. We have choosen the facade pattern because it will allow us to give access to the business layer to other applications in the enteprise, not all java. This may not be the best place to ask this question but I will give it a shot. I am having trouble determining the correct way of setting up the enviroment, should I set it up as a J2EE application and set up different projects for the EJB's, and web or do I just set it up as a web project and put the Session Facade ejb's in the package structure simmilar to the way it is set up in the caveat emptor example? Any feedback is greatly appriciated.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:41 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Please continue this discussion in the regular Hibernate User forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]