-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: More explanation on key-many-to-one
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:42 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi,

In the book there is a sentence about key-many-to-one that says
Quote:
However, it's usually inconvenient to have an association in a composite identifier class, so this approach isn't recommended except in special circumstances

Is it possible to have any explanation on this. Why it is not recommended to use 'key-many-to-one' ?

Thanx for your help

Seb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:39 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Well, key-many-to-one just sucks in Hibernate. Use a key-property and a many-to-one mapped with update/insert=false.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:06 am 
Expert
Expert

So this is just an hibernate restriction ?

I don't like your proposition because the new property is just here for an hibernate purpose. It pollutes my domain model.

Maybe there is another solution. I have a parent/child relationship. I want the child pk to be a composition of the parent id and another relation.

For me the best way to design this with hibernate is to use a composite-element. My problem is just a schema generation relative problem. I cannot with this design generate a pk on my composite-element table. So I tried to do it with a one-to-many relation but this leads me in a key-many-to-one on the child element. I am so just curious on why this is a bad idea.

If somebody can tell me how to generate my pk on my child table with a composite-element I think this would be the best way to do

Thanx

Seb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]