-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Optionally throw exception(s) collected by Schema tools
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:34 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello, just want to raise this "new feature" here too, as it's related to the SchemaExport/Update tools.

Imaging those tools are triggered (executed) by some magic ... meaning persistence.xml from EJB 3.0 ... and they can't connect to the database. It's down, mis-configured or what ever. Now, those can-not-exception(s) are logged and collected and you could handle them, if you held a reference to the tool. But, here you don't. What happens is, you see those exceptions printed, your code runs and the first database access fails.

See http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?p=2250782#2250782 for the original posting.

How can this be addressed? Perhaps a new property like:

Code:
<property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.throwExceptions" value="true" />

Cheers,
Sormuras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:49 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

the issue is that these execeptions also could be caused by situations that should not keep your application from starting.

you could add a feature request, but im not sure if it can be done in a good way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:07 am 
Beginner
Beginner

True - but if I could catch the throwables by myself, I could decide by the type of the exception whether the app should exit or continue.

Mhhh... as this issue only belongs to environments in which you don't have a handle to the tool (and therefore can't getExceptions() on it), I'll not file a JIRA improvement request.

Another way to achieve what I want, is executing a simple query and use the exceptions thrown there to test the database connection. Maybe that's a (the?) better solution, anyway. What do you think?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]