-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Database Validation fails with cloud database
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:54 pm 

The database validation will fail when using a cloud database since the authenticated user does not typically have admin privileges unless you are running on a dedicated MongoDB instance.

The following class: org.hibernate.ogm.datastore.mongodb.impl.MongoDBDatastoreProvider does the database validation and won't complete authentication. In order to work around this issue I had toe extend the MongoDBDatastoreProvider class and override the extractDatabase function to remove out the validation (if ( !mongo.getDatabaseNames().contains( databaseName ) ) {).

Since MongoDB will create the database there is no need to preform this validation so it would be a nice feature to be able to set a property that enabled validation.

I was then able to set the a property to use my MongoDBDatastoreProvider:

<property name="hibernate.ogm.datastore.provider"
value="com.MyDatastoreProvider"/>

Hibernate OGM will give a warning that the value is invalid but I was able to successfully authenticate to my cloud database instance.

Post subject: Re: Database Validation fails with cloud database
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

Thanks for giving Hibernate OGM a spin and letting us know about this issue; Glad to hear you managed to work around it for the time being. I've created https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/OGM-733 for fixing this.

I'm inclined to say that we just may ignore the exception raised in this case and continue. Without admin rights, as it seems there is no way to enforce CREATE_DATABASE=false, as the server won't give us the existing database names and it will be created automatically upon usage later on.

Re "Hibernate OGM will give a warning that the value is invalid": Could you give some more details (where is it raised etc.)? Specifying a FQN here is absolutely valid, so no warning should be raised at this point.

Thanks,

--Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 am 

Warning comes right after reading the persistence.xml:

WARN [org.hibernate.ogm.datastore.impl.DatastoreProviderInitiator] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 72) OGM000070: 'com.nowellpoint.api.mongodb.NowellpointMongoDBDatastoreProvider' is no valid datastore provider short name. Valid values are: MAP, INFINISPAN, EHCACHE, MONGODB, NEO4J_EMBEDDED, COUCHDB_EXPERIMENTAL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:19 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Thanks! I've filed https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/OGM-739 for logging this on INFO only.

--Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:37 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi jherson,

I'm trying to reproduce the problem by fiddling with MongoDB user and roles but so far I cannot find a way to have a user that cannot list a database.
Do you know how such a user is configured? I did create a user on a dedicated db with readWrite role.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:58 am 

I am using a shared database on MongoLab. My database user setup is:

{
"_id": "<dbname>.admin76189",
"user": "<username>",
"db": "<dbname>",
"credentials": {
"MONGODB-CR": "xxxx"
},
"roles": [
{
"role": "readAnyDatabase",
"db": "<dbname>"
},
{
"role": "readWriteAnyDatabase",
},
{
"role": "userAdminAnyDatabase",
},
{
"role": "dbAdminAnyDatabase",
}
]
}

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

That's kind of what I have but I would not be surprised if MongoLab had customized the vanilla MongoDB security. SaaS tend to do that.
Can you try by any change this branch and let us know if the problem is still here?

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-ogm/pull/482

mvn clean install -DskipTests -s settings.xml
to build it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:32 am 

With MongoLab they don't allow administrator access on a shared instance since that privilege would give access to all databases even the databases that are not mine.

I applied your update to my datastore provider and it worked as expected.

Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]