-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Redefined Default group as sequence?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

I am just wondering why the spec uses @GroupSequence to redefine the Default group? Does this not change the semantics of Default? Without redefining the default group all constraints belonging (explicitly or implicitly) to the Default group are evaluated. Once you use @GroupSequence to redefine the default group the semantic changes. Now I stop evaluating once I get a constraint validation in one of the defined default groups. Wouldn't it make sense to evaluate all constraints? In this case we might want another name for this annotation.

This might also remove some ambiguity between @GroupSequence on classes and @GroupSequence on interfaces.

Any thoughts?

--Hardy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

That's the point.
If you are interested in evaluating all constraints wo sequencing constraint, then just mark these constraints as Default.
Redefining Default for a class is really about allowing a sequencing between the class group (ie the default Default) and another set of groups.

Code:
@GroupSequence(Address.class, Address.Heavy)
public class Address {
  @NotNull String street;
  @ZipCode(groups=Address.Heavy) String zipcode;
  public interface Heavy{}
}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:55 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Right, but should it be called "redefine the default group then"? Shouldn't it be "define a default sequence". Maybe it's just the terminology which gets me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Well there is no notion of default sequence in the spec, so we can't redefine that :)
But we can change some of the wording if we find something good.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]