-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: extra validation context information
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:31 pm 

I have to collect extra information from my Constraint<A ext Ann> implementations. Why?
Because, I want to deal with complex objects and be able to report validation parameters using those objects.

Code:
class Measurement {
   Context context;   // duration, distance, so on
   Unit unit;
   double value;
}

Now, suppose, I have a validation annotation that wants to validate a Measurement for a particular Measurement context.
Provided that ContextKeys and UnitKeys are enums.

Code:
@ContextRange(context = ContextKeys.DISTANCE, unit = UnitKeys.MILE, min = 1 , max = 100)
Measurement measurement;

Moving on to the constraint implementation. This is where I translate the annotation and do some useful work.

Code:
class ContextRangeConstraint<ContextRange> impl Constraint<ContextRange
   Measurement min;
   Measurement max;

public void initialize(ContextRange ctxRange) { // translate into the min and max }

public boolean isValid(Object o) {
      ... // check the range using Measurement convenience methods
      ... // o.lessThan(min) and o.greaterThan(max)
   }
}

My messages are personalized based on user preferences. In other words, my business constraints might be
specified in 'miles' but that's not very useful to the end user who's from Germany. I need to personalize
my measurement objects at the presentation tier (web services). That's the only place, I will actually know
who that user is and the adequate locale. Hence, I want to pass along with my ValidationException not just what
failed the validation (InvalidConstraint<T> which has its own problems, since Throwable can't be extended by anything
generic), but also the reasons for failure such as the constraints of a particular validation instance.
Code:
@ContextRange(context = ContextKeys.DISTANCE, unit = UnitKeys.MILE, min = 1 , max = 100)
Measurement measurement;

But I'm a user who enters his measurements in kilometers. Hence, I shouldn't get miles in error messages.
Quote:
"Distance measurement range exceeded. Should be between 1.6 and 160.0 km."
Never-mind the silly rounding.

Since, I need to form the final message away from the validation framework, in the presentation tier. I need the
converted Measurement min, max. So that my Personalizer can convert and display them properly.
Clearly, I need some kind of hook back to the ContextRangeConstraint that contains those objects.

Currently, I use the property name from InvalidConstraint to go back and look through all the Constraint implementations
inside which I declare what should be considered a part of the ValidationContext using a custom @MesssageParameter
annotation and reflection.

Code:
class ContextRangeConstraint<ContextRange> impl Constraint<ContextRange
   @MessageParameter(key = "min")
   Measurement min;
   @MessageParameter(key = "max")
   Measurement max;

// but these keys get fully qualified "org.p7k.example.ContextRangeConstraint.min"
}

In the end I have a Map<String,Object> with which I can do work now.
If I have a message that has "{org.p7k.example.ContextRangeConstraint.min}" I can replace
that placeholder with a personalized Measurement.

------------

This works but is very cumbersome (the degree of this post factum ValidationContext collection cumbersomeness depends on
the implementation). For example I can't do something like:

Code:
@ContextRanges({@ContextRange(context = ContextKeys.DISTANCE, ...),
            @ContextRange(context = ContextKeys.DISTANCE, ...)})

Since, my Map<String, Object> will contain the 'min' and 'max' for the last ContextRange checked not the one that actually
failed.

However, I feel that the spec creates some fundamental limitations.

InvalidConstraint despite its name only describes the property that failed. The reason for failure is only conveyed
through the message. I would like to see a hook to get the Constraint implementation from which I could ask for more
contextual information (similar to how StatdardConstraintDescriptor works).

Perhaps, the internal reporting using a boolean instead of some validation report:

Code:
public ValidationReport validate(Object o){}
instead of
Code:
public boolean isValid(Object o){}
could help.

Please, let me know your thoughts and ask follow-up questions.

BTW, I've been working with the agimatec implementation (Thank you!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi, here http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=986340 I have already mentioned about the limitation for the invalid constraints..

I have combined some ideas from the hibernate and agimatec validator and currently my validation framework is based on these interfaces:

Code:
public interface Constraint<A extends Annotation> {

public void validate(ValidationContext<?> ctx);
}

Code:
/**
* Initializable constraint. Needs to be instantiated for each constraint
* annotation descriptor.
  */
public interface ExtendedConstraint<A extends Annotation> extends Constraint<A> {

public void initialize(A constraintDescriptor);
}

Code:
public interface ValidationListener {
    /**
     * Error notification sent by a Constraint.
     */
    void addInvalidConstraint (InvalidConstraint reason, ValidationContext context);
}

So that when a constraint wants to report an error it does it this way:

Code:
public void validate(ValidationContext<?> ctx) {
   //...
   invalidConstraint = ...
   ctx.getValidationListener().addInvalidConstraint (invalidConstraint, ctx);
}

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]