-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: null DateTime - "SqlDateTime overflow. Must be between.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:29 am 
Beginner
Beginner

hello

I ran into a problem with NHibernate - "LastUpdate" field of my class defaults to null (NULL is declared in database table schema as well) but when inserted into NHibernate I got error:
Code:
+      [System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlTypeException]   {"SqlDateTime overflow. Must be between 1/1/1753 12:00:00 AM and 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM."}   System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlTypeException

I want to avoid hardcoding "NULL" to 1JAN1753 - any alternatives? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 am 
Expert
Expert

Do you use DateTime or DateTime? ? If you want to use NULL values you have to use DateTime? !

Post subject: yes I'm using DateTime (both sql table schema AND C# class)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:02 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Yes I'm using DateTime in both my SQL table schema AND C# class definition (and mapping file NHibernate type)

[CreateDate] [datetime] NULL DEFAULT (GETDATE()),
[CreatedBy] [bigint] NULL DEFAULT (-1), /* TODO: Add constraint this will not be Constant.INVALID */
[LastUpdate] [datetime] NULL, << I can't insert NULL because of problem I mentioned
[LastUpdateBy] [bigint] NULL,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:18 am 
Expert
Expert

No, the problem ist that the allowed data range in .Net and in SQL Server differs. DateTime is a struct and therefore a value type. Meaning it can't be NULL. An uninitalized DateTime is something about "12:00:00 midnight, January 1, 0001 ". SQL Server has a minimum of "1/1/1753 12:00:00 AM and 12/31/9999 11:59:59 PM". If you really want NULL values you have to use the nullable version DateTime? in your class. Mapping with hibernate and schema definition in SQL Server stays the same.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1t3y8s4s(VS.80).aspx

Post subject: yes NULL prefered over 1/1/1753
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:44 am 
Beginner
Beginner

yes really want NULL in LastUpdate field in database - because support guys can use this syntax to find Person's who hasn't been updated.

SELECT * FROM Person WHERE LastUpdate is NULL

... instead of

SELECT * FROM Person WHERE LastUpdate>'1/1/1753'

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]