-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Generate model from existing database
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 am 

Hi guys and gals,

Can anyone advise me if it is possible to use an existing database schema (in SQL Server 2005/8) to generate the necessary classes and mapping files in the same way as the .net Entity Framework does?

I'm going through the process of comparing the EF with NHibernate and being able to have the framework reverse engineer a model from an existing database is a must have feature for me.

Are there any extensions or tools that can support this? All the posts and articles that I've read on NHibernate seem to be going the other way - where you have a whole load of classes and mapping files and it will generate the database for you.

Many thanks to anyone who can advise

Best Regards

S

Post subject: Re: Generate model from existing database
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 am 

There are some solutions, either free or commercial. On the free side, check out MyGeneration and there was also a free project which worked as an add-in for Visual Studio called NHibernate Visual Studio Plugin, or something like that. On the non-free side, there's CodeSmith and Visual NHibernate. This one is in beta and you can download a working version, seems promising.

Ricardo Peres

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]