-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: NHibernate and the Adapter pattern.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm using NHibernate with WPF, in an application that involves a domain model built around a nested hierarchy several layers deep. WPF requires that collections implement several interfaces (INotifyPropertyChanged, INotifyCollectionChanged, and so on), so I won't be able to use plain old ISets and ILists.

I've played with custom collections that work with both NHibernate and WPF, but I prefer to keep my domain model as clean as possible. So, I think I'm going to go with an Adapter pattern (actually, a WPF Model-View-ViewModel pattern) to implement the interfaces required for WPF.

I haven't been able to find any articles or blogs on point. I'm particularly concerned about preserving lazy loading. Are there any resources available on line on the subject of using NHibernate with WPF, other than the custom collection stuff? Has anyone implemented an Adapter approach? What problems did you run into, and what would you suggest? Thanks for your help!

David Veeneman
Foresight Systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 am 
Expert
Expert

Have a look here:

http://happynomad121.blogspot.com/2007/12/collections-for-wpf-and-nhibernate.html

and here:

http://groups.google.com/group/nhibernate-development/browse_thread/thread/c501fb536561e02a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks, Wolfgang, for the references. Custom collections do work; however, I prefer not to use them, in order to keep my domain model as clean as possible.

I think I have worked out an Adapter that will allow a multi-level containment hierarchy of IList<T> or ISet<T> to provide change notification to WPF. It is an application of the Model-View-ViewModel pattern. For the benefit of anyone reseaching this thread at a later date, here is the general approach:

Create a 'view model' (VM) object that mirrors each domain model (DM) object you want to expose in the view. The VM object only needs the properties of the DM object that will be exposed in the view. The VM object should take its corresponding DM object as a constructor parameter, and it should hold an internal reference to the DM object. The non-collection VM properties should be wired directly to the corresponding DM object properties:

public string Name
{
get { return _dmObject.Name; }
set
{
_dmObject.Name = value;
FirePropertyChangedEvent("Name");
}

Collection properties can't be wired up the same way. That's because each object in the DM collection needs to be wrapped in a VM object before it goes into the VM ObservableCollection property. So, iterate the DM collection, wrap each object, and add the wrapped object to the VM collection property.

Changes to individual objects will be propagated from the DM objects to their counterparts (and vice versa) because of the reference each VM object holds to the DM object that it wraps. But additions to and deletions from collection properties won't be propagated.

To make that happen, the VM parent object needs to subscribe to change notification on its ObservableCollection. When an object is added or deleted by WPF, the Parent object needs to react to the CollectionChanged event to push the change out to the DM. Similarly, when the DM is changed, the changing code needs to push the change to the VM. Change notification events won't work here, since neither ISET<T> nor IList<T> provides change notificastion. I'm still working out how to handle this part.

Once I have all this worked out, I plan to post an article on the subject on CodeProject, with a cross-post to NHibernateForge. I can't make any promises about when that will get done, though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]