-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Class has Many to Many relation to itself: Mapping Problem
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:01 am 

NHibernate version: 1.2.0

Hi,

i have a little problem with creating my mapping files. I have the following tables:

Application: ApplicationID,....
Relation: RelationID,...
Relationship: RelationshipID, App1, App2, Relation, Direction

So i have a many to many relationship from Application to itself. But i also need information about what type of relationship two apps have. Therefore the Join Table Relationship. My problem is, that i don't know how to create the mapping files according to that.

My first idea was:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.2" namespace="Spider.Domain.Objects" assembly="Spider.Domain">
   <class name="Relationship" table="Relationship" lazy="true">
      <id name="ID" column="RelationshipID">
         <generator class="native" />
      </id>

<property name="Direction" column="Direction" />

<many-to-one name="Application1" class="Application" column="Application1ID" cascade="none" />
      <many-to-one name="Application2" class="Application" column="Application2ID" cascade="none" />
      <many-to-one name="Relationtype" class="Relation" column="RelationID" cascade="none" />
   </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Code:
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.2" namespace="Spider.Domain.Objects" assembly="Spider.Domain">
   <class name="Application" table="Application" lazy="true">
      <id name="ID" column="ApplicationID">
      </id>

<bag name="Relationships" table="Relationship" inverse="true" cascade="none">
         <key column="ApplicationID" />
         <one-to-many class="Relationship" />
      </bag>
   </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Code:
   <class name="Relation" table="Relation" lazy="true">
      <id name="ID" column="RelationID">
      </id>

<key column="RelationID" />
      </bag>
   </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

But then i remembered that i don't have only one Application reference in the join table, but two. So it is obvious, that this won't work:
Code:
         <key column="ApplicationID" />
      </bag>

But if i replace ApplicationID with Application1ID or Application2ID i don't get all the relationships. For example:

I have 3 apps: ftp, mail, http and 2 relationships: ftp - mail, http - ftp. When trying to retrieve all the relationships from ftp, i get either the ftp - mail (if key column = Application1ID) or the http - ftp (if key column = Application2ID). I could solve this if i just use two collections per application, but this would be rather ugly, i think.

Does anybody know a solution for this problem?

This Problem is similar to this one: http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=982714 But i don't think that solution would work or rather i don't understand the proposed solution.

Could someone give me a hint on how to solve this?

Kind regards junsas

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]