-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Change database programmatically
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm writing an application were the user's data are stored in a database. One important function of the application is the ability to work with different databases, and hence change database inside the application.

How can I change the database NHibernate access inside my application?

There is no problem in updating the app.config file with the new NHibernate settings (i.e. the hibernate.connection.connection_string_name parameter). The new databases is loaded correctly if the application i restarted.

When I debug the process of closing sessions and factories, and the open them again I see that the variable Environment.Properties (in the Configuration class) is only read once when NHibernate is accessed for the first time. And the connection string information is located in this hash table.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

This seems to work:

Code:
public ISession Session
        {
            get
            {
                if (session == null)
                {
                    cfg = new NHibernate.Cfg.Configuration();

// Read mapping classes from assembly
                    cfg.AddAssembly(mappingFile);

// Create session factory and open session
                    Configuration config = ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(ConfigurationUserLevel.None);
                    AppSettingsSection nhibernateSection = config.GetSection("nhibernate") as AppSettingsSection;
                    cfg.SetProperty("hibernate.connection.connection_string_name", nhibernateSection.Settings["hibernate.connection.connection_string_name"].Value);

factory = cfg.BuildSessionFactory();
                    session = factory.OpenSession();
                    session.FlushMode = FlushMode.Commit;
                }
                else if (session.IsOpen == false)
                {
                    session = factory.OpenSession();
                }
                return session;
            }
            set
            {
                session = value;
            }
        }

I.e. setting the property explicitly. Doesn't look very nice though. Cannot NHibernate re-read the settings on its own?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]