-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Need some clarification about group by in hql
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:53 am 

Hi

I am trying to get sum of a column (Amount) in a table (Ledger) grouping on a parent column (Customer). Ledger table has Customer table as parent / look up table.

So I did

select c, sum(l.Amount) from Customer c, Ledger l where l.Customer = c group by c

I am actually using Castle ActiveRecord and using 'Import' attribute and pupulating a custom non mapped class. I have code working in some other way (the hql is different)

The reason of my post os that the above hql led to something similar to following native SQL

select customer_id, customer_name, address, sum(amount) from customer, ledger where ledger.customer_id = customer.customer_id group by customer.customer_id

I have simplified the query to keep things short.

This leads to error in SQL server because it expects customer_name and address also to be part of group by clause.

My question is when I use group by c, why isn't every column from customer table used for grouping?

I am not expert in nhibernate so I might be missing a lot.

Regards
PK

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]