-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Generated vs assigned ids
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:21 pm 
Regular
Regular

One of my usages of NHibernate is to move objects between two different databases; for this reason I'd set the id type to be assigned (since I never want an id generated if the object doesn't exist at destination).

However, there are some cases when I do need to create new entities and I don't want to manually do the job that auto_increment does, so it would make more sense to set the id types to 'generated' for this case, but I very rarely need to use the 'generated' behaviour. I don't really want to duplicate the entire mapping file and have to maintain two copies.

The code below copies an object from database A to database B, and preserves the id x whether the object exists in B or not. If I change the id types to generated, will this remain the case?
Code:
long x = 100;
MyObject o;
{
  Session sA = GetSessionOnA();
  o = sA.Get<MyObject>(x);
}

Session sB = GetSessionOnB();
sB.SaveOrUpdateCopy(o);
sB.Flush();

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:22 pm 
Regular
Regular

As a followup to my own question, what I really want is an assigned ID that behaves like a native ID when nothing's been assigned (or vice versa). Looks like other people are also interested in this (http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HBX-1034) - I guess a custom id generator is what's required? I can't find a lot about writing and using custom generators anywhere.

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:54 pm 

Or use
Code:
sb.Save( obj, id )

in your copier to save with an assigned ID, overriding the generator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:20 pm 
Regular
Regular

This won't work with child entities and so on; it would require me not to cascade anything I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:43 am 
Regular
Regular

I am not sure if this will work.

Write your own generator class. The generator will check for any assigned id. If an id exists, it returns the existing id. Otherwise it calls one of the NH supplied generator of your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:51 am 
Regular
Regular

Your custom generator should inherit from NHibernate.Id.IIdentifierGenerator. You will need to link to the generator in the mapping files like the following
Code:
    <id name="MyId">
      <generator class="MyNamespace.MyGenerator, MyAssembly" />
    </id>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:40 am 
Regular
Regular

Yeah, that'll probably be the best solution. I'm not sure if it's that easy though, since looking at the GeneratorFactory code in the source there's some setup that goes on. I'll investigate sometime and maybe write it up somewhere, since there's very little on the web about it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]