-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Multiple parent table question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:03 am 

I have a fairly classic Parent/Child mapping relationship that I'm using to manage "media" (child) for individual "providers" (parent). Each "provider" parent will have one or more "media" children, and the media can be transient in nature.

Here's the problem -- I really want another parent table to maintain a "master" index of media information (things like title, artist, album, genre, etc.). Example: any number of "provider" parents could have the same "media" entries, and I'd like to maintain some "master" index to catalog this information in a central/persistent location.

So, if I add a new provider or update an existing one to the system, I'd like to:

1. Add/update all "media" children for the "provider".
2. Add any unique/new media records in another "master" parent table.

The parent-child relationship between "provider" and "media" is very simple and works beautifully, but I'm not even sure where to start with the "master" table.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

It sounds like you need to transition from a parent-child (one-to-many) relationship to a many-to-many relationship, either directly or through an association class (if there are attributes specific to a relationship between a "media" and a "provider").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:47 pm 

I'm not sure I follow. Regarding relationships, the "provider" parent and "media" child share a "ProviderId" attribute, while the "master" parent and "media" child share a "MediaKey" attribute.

So, each "provider" is linked with "media" via a ProviderId -- I already have this relationship working. But, I need to figure out how to map the relationship with "master", which is linked with "media" via a MediaKey.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]