-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Preprocessing when insert/retrieve from DB
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:57 am 

Hi guys,

I have a small project and I need your help with NHibernate, I read the manual many times but I didn't find a solution...or at least I didn't manage to find an elegant one.

I've a web service I can't modify to retrieve and store records from a remote location.
I have to first map the remote DB locally and after a separate software will create new records in the local DB that I have to push back with the webservice.
In other words I have to keep the local and the live DBs in synch with the possibility to create/update/delete records on both sides.

The problem is more or less the following:

Web service objects are linked to each other, but instead of an object having a reference of another object it has a reference to a RecordRef object. Using the RecordRef object it's then possible to retrieve the linked object.

For example:

Class Employee
{
public string name
public RecordRef employeeStatus
public RecordRef employeeDepartment
}

Class RecordRef
{
public int id
public string linkedTableName (this will be 'EmployeeStatus' or 'EmployeeDepartment' in the example)
}

Class EmployeeStatus
{
public int employeeStatusId
public string status
}

Class EmployeeDepartment
{
public int employeeDepartmentId
public string department
}

In practice instead of linking the Employee directly to EmployeeStatus and EmployeeDepartment they link it to the RecordRef.

I don't think it's complex to map all this to a DB using NHibernate (more or less I managed to do it).
But the problem is that I want to 'hide' the further RecordRef step in the DB. I would like to link Employee directly to EmployeeStatus in the DB (so that the other software can easily create records) using both the 'id' and the 'linkedTableName' and when I retrieve one of them back I would like to create a RecordRef on the fly (so I can push the object to the web service).

I thought to use my own "Access Strategy" or event "Interceptor" but maybe there is a simpler way.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Raffaele

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]