-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need help on ICriteria query with fetch=join
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi all,

i'm working on optimizing an application using NHibernate 1.0.4 and SQL-Server 2000.

I have problems with an ICriteria query on an object which contains one-to-one mappings. Regardless what FetchMode i configure NHibernate uses the 'fetch="select"' mode which leads to the well known n+1 select problem.

Here is my code (mappings are shortened because of the number of fields in the tables):

Code:
Mappings:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.0" assembly="MyAssembly" namespace="MyNamespace">
  <class name="Material" table="MATERIAL">
    <id name="mId" column="MATERIAL_ID" access="field" type="Guid">
      <generator class="guid"/>
    </id>
    <many-to-one name="Autopull" column="AUTOPULL_ID" class="myNamespace.Autopull" unique="true" fetch="join" cascade="all-delete-orphan" />
    field mapping for MATERIAL
  </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.0" assembly="MyAssembly" namespace="MyNamespace">
  <class name="Autopull" table="AUTOPULL">
    <id name="mId" column="AUTOPULL_ID" access="field" type="Guid">
    </id>
    <many-to-one name="OptionalAutopull" column="OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL_ID" class="Mynamespace.OptionalAutopull" unique="true" cascade="none" />
    <one-to-one name="Material" class="Mynamespace.Material" property-ref="Autopull" fetch="join" />
    field mapping for AUTOPULL
  </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

<class name="OptionalAutopull" table="OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL">
    <id name="mId" column="OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL_ID" access="field" type="Guid">
    </id>
    field mapping for AUTOPULL
  </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Code:

IList materials = session.CreateCriteria(typeof(Material))
  .Add(Expression.In(Material.CUSTOMER_ID, pCustomerIds))
  .Add(Expression.In(Material.MATERIAL_CLASSIFICATION_CODE, getConfigMaterialClassificationCodes()))
  .Add(Expression.Eq(Material.CONFIGURED_MATERIAL_FLAG, new NullableBoolean(false)))
  .SetFetchMode("Autopull", FetchMode.Join)
  .SetFetchMode("Autopull.Material", FetchMode.Join)
  .List();

The generated select looks like this:

Code:
first select:

SELECT
  <field_list>
FROM
  MATERIAL this
  left outer join AUTOPULL autopul1_ on this.AUTOPULL_ID=autopul1_.AUTOPULL_ID
  left outer join MATERIAL gdcmateria2_ on autopul1_.AUTOPULL_ID=materia2_.AUTOPULL_ID
  left outer join OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL optiona3_ on autopul1_.OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL_ID=optiona3_.OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL_ID
WHERE
  <selection_criteria>

subsequent selects:

SELECT
  <field_list>
FROM
  MATERIAL materia0_
  left outer join AUTOPULL gdcautopul1_ on materia0_.AUTOPULL_ID=autopul1_.AUTOPULL_ID
  left outer join MATERIAL materia2_ on autopul1_.AUTOPULL_ID=materia2_.AUTOPULL_ID
  left outer join OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL optiona3_ on autopul1_.OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL_ID=optiona3_.OPTIONAL_AUTOPULL_ID
WHERE
  materia0_.AUTOPULL_ID=@p0

The first select returns all data nHibernate needs to initialize the objects. The second select NHibernate generates for each Autopull found to fill the Material property. If i look at the internal structures i will find all objects filled except the fields which build up the one-to-one mapping.

I have debugged NHibernate and didn't find where the .SetFetchMode() of the ICriteria or the "fetch=join" was evaluated. No matter what i configure, NHibernate does the n+1 select.

If i remove the <one-to-one> from the Autopull mapping, NHibernate executes only one select against the database. But i need the bidirectional reference in my business logic.

Did anyone have a hint how i can solve this problem?

The only thing which springs to my mind is to map the AUTOPULL table as component instead of one-to-one, as Autopulls are just an enhancement to Materials. But if i do so this will lead to a lot of code changes.

Many thanks in advance
Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:05 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi,

did anybody have a hint to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance
Klaus

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]