-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing with NUnit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:35 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I am using NUnit to unit test my NHibernate code. In each test class I have a setup and teardown function which begins a transaction and rolls back the transaction respectively. This is so that none of my test data hits the database as I don't want it full of unit test data.

I then want to write tests to test various areas of functionality such as creating updating etc. I want all of these tests to be pretty much self contained however I am finding it extremely frustrating that I can't, for example create a record and then read it back within the same session without flushing and evicting the object (e.g. session.Flush(); session.Evict(rec);). When a record has children and grand children etc, this becomes even more frustrating, equally frustrating is when I try and test code in higher levels which calls the NHibernate and I seem to have to do the same thing.

I'm sure I must have missed something wit this - please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:06 am 
Contributor
Contributor

That's because you are basically trying to work against NHibernate's built-in caching mechanism.

Do you really need to test NHibernate? We have a pretty good test suite ourselves :) If you just need to test stuff like cascades, you can use session.Contains().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Sergey,
I don't think that I agree with you here.
I do want to test the persistence. Not so much to verify that NHibernate works, but to verify that I am mapping all the properties that I think I should, that I can get assoication correctly, that the mapping is valid, etc.

Additionally, there is an issue when I want to use NHibernate for queries that contains business logic.

GetAllOutstandingLoads() - for instance, is something that you really should test, especially since most of the time it just construct a query and execute it.

s1mm0t,
There are several ways to test NHiberante:

Here is a favorite of mine:
http://www.ayende.com/Blog/archive/7183.aspx

Because of issues with SQLite data/time handling, and sharing several session on the same database, I moved to using SQL Server CE (embedded SQL).
Which still has the same properties as the previous test, even though it touches the filesystem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:56 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Sergey / Ayende thanks for your speedy responses.

Sergey I'm sure NHibernate doesn't need testing - if I thought it did I probably wouldn't be using it ;). I don't however have as much faith in my ability to set up the mappings etc correctly which is what I really want to test.

Ayende, your blog entry was very interesting but I don't think that gets me round my problem of not wanting to have to keep on flushing and evicting objects.

To be quite honest I see not being able to read the same data into memory within the same session as quite a big restriction. I fail to see why this is necessary, if NHibernate is clever enough to determine that I have already read the data in once, why can't it just return that reference rather than throwing an exception? This basically forces me to manage references to objects in such a way that is inconvenient and becomes overly complicated especially when you start abstracting your application into multiple layers.

Again I just feel as though I have missed something obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:54 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Throwing exception??
Can you clarify?

It will return the same reference that you gave it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:15 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Your post got me thinking, and it made me realise what I was doing wrong.

I was doing the following to read records from the database:

Code:
Contact contact = new Contact();

session.Load(contact, id);

Calling this code after just creating the contact I was trying to read caused a NonUniqueObjectException to be thrown.

I have now changed the code to the following:
Code:
Contact contact = (Contact)session.Load(typeof(Contact), id);

This now seems to have sorted my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 pm 
Regular
Regular

You can also use session.Clear() to clean-up the entire session and to give you a fresh start without committing data and creating a new session.

Another option would be to provide you own connection instance and to create as many session with it as you need.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]