-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Timestamp column mapping in SQL2005?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:49 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello group,

I'm standing in front of a wall and banging my head. I have a timestamp column in a table in a SQL2005 database (not sure whether there's a difference to SQL2000). I should also mention that I'm using NHibernate.Mapping.Attributes rather than plain mapping files.

Now I'd like to use either the <version> or <timestamp> mapping to expose that value as a property, ideally using DateTime so I can check the last modification date e.g. for geting all objects that changed during the past 24 hours.

Here's the most recent thing I tried:
---------------------------------
Code:
Guid m_ID = Guid.Empty;
int m_LastModification = 0;

[Id(0, Name = "ID", Column = "ID", TypeType = typeof(Guid), UnsavedValue = "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000")]
[Generator(1, Class = "guid.comb")]
[Version(2, Column = "LastModification", AccessType = typeof(PascalCaseMUnderScore))]
public Guid ID
{
   get { return m_ID; }
   set { m_ID = value; }
}

public int LastModification
{
   get { return m_LastModification; }
}

When I try to load a list I get the following exception:

Code:
"NHibernate.ADOException: Could not cast the value in field LastModi2_0_ of type Byte[] to the Type Int32Type..."

I already tried different data types such as byte[] or Int32 for the LastModification property. Does anybody have a working example of how to use NHibernate.Mapping.Attributes with a timestamp column?

Thanks, Christoph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

So I'm getting a little bit closer to the solution. First, I found out that timestamp columns don't have anything to do with server time or so but merely are a sequential number that gets increased. That in itself is no problem as it still let's me do what I want, namely finding all the records that changed since the last request.

So I was able to map a timestamp column to a byte[] field using the standard <property> mapping. However, I'm still stuck with figuring out the proper construct to use a <version> or <timestamp> tag.

Any help appreciated :-)

Thanks, Christoph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have never used the mapping attributes, but shouldnt the version attribute be on the LastModification property?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

The timestamp type in sql server is in no way related to timestamp or version in NHibernate. The datatype can't be used by the clr

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131092.aspx

When using the timestamp of sql server I map it as BinaryBlob.

<property access="field" name="m_timestamp" column="SearchItemTimestamp" type="BinaryBlob" insert="false" update="false"/>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]