-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Paged result sets: How to get index of specific item?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:41 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello all,

I'm using the ICriteria API to perform custom paging for an ASP.Net GridView. So, I can specify that I'd like to have entities 31-40 out of a result set for which I can dynamically specify sort order and additional filters.

Now my problem is, that I have links from other parts of my app that link to a specific entity. Given two specific sort orders or set of filters, an entity will show up on different pages in the grid.

I'm looking for a way to determine the position of an entity in a given result set. However, loading this result set into memory is out of question, so I need NHibernate to return a Scalar.

NHibernate aside thinking in pure SQL (bottom up approach), I have problems coming up with a feasible solution. I'm using SQL 2005, which has the ROW_NUMBER() feature but so far I couldn't find a way how to put it to good use (I don't even want to think about yet how I could make NHibernate to submit ROW_NUMBER() statements).

Does anybody have an idea how I can solve this problem?

Thanks, Christoph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:29 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I found a way, even though it's kind of complicated. I'm building on the assumption that the result set I'm looking through has a deterministic order (so e.g. if I'm ordering by a non-distict value with a second-level criteria I need to order by ID, timestamp, or so)

Now I need to construct a query that returns all entries that show up before the selected entry plus the selected entity itself. About those entities I know that either:

-Their values in the Order By column must be less than the value in the Order By column of my selected entity.
-If their value in the Order By column is the same as the one of the selected entity, then the second-level Order By criteria (e.g. ID) must be less or equal.

On top of that I simply put a RowCount projection so that I get the number of entries instead of the data.

Still, I'm interested whether there is an easier solution for this (I think) frequently occurring problem.

Thanks, Christoph

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]