-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: A good code generator for VB.NET?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:50 am 

Hi all,

I'm considering migrating one of projects from an in-house POCO concept to the better thought out NHibernate framework.

For me the biggest pain of using a POCO concept is the tedious repetitive work you need to do to set up all the objects. Of course this is something that everybody has experienced that's why you there are code generators.

I'm looking for a good NHibernate code generator for VB.NET. We have no intention to migrate to C# because it would not make any commercial sense.

So far I've found two generators:

http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/

You can download a very very early beta of a VB.NET template which is loosely based on a couple of other C# templates.

I've also found the Object Mapper of the puzzle framework useful:

http://www.puzzleframework.com/wikiengine/WikiPageViewer.aspx?ID=80

But the Object Mapper is a strange animal. You can do all kinds of great stuff with it but it's actually meant for NPersist projects. There is an export tool which can generate VB.NET code for NHibernate projects.

Anyways my questions are:

Is there anybody out there that uses a code generator tool for VB.NET projects?

Thanks,

Moni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Just a very biased opinion, but I find it much easier to work in the .NET code and have the mappings [and schema] generated from that. There are two mappings-generating tools you can use. The NHibernateContrib package has NHibernate.Mapping.Attributes. The Castle Project has ActiveRecord.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]