-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Session is lightweight or heavyweight
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:37 am 

Hi All,

I am a bit confused about the session object being lightweight or heavyweight, in terms of database connection.
When I open a session is a database connection created or does NHibernate work with some kind of connection pool and assigns the session a connection from the pool?
Is it reasonable from performance and scalability point of view to have my Data Access Layer open a session upon each request, use it to retrieve the object and then immediately close it?
From the system design point of view it seems most sensible to me because I don't want the service and UI layers who use to Data Access Layer to be aware of sessions or use any NHibernate APIs.
I'm aware of the lazy loading concerns - I just might use the
reattachment method I found in the forum or some another technique.

Thanks In Advance
Dror

Post subject: Re: Session is lightweight or heavyweight
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:28 am 
Senior
Senior

drorwe wrote:
When I open a session is a database connection created or does NHibernate work with some kind of connection pool and assigns the session a connection from the pool?

NHibernate depends on the specific ADO.NET providers for connection pooling. Most providers do connection pooling by default, so in those cases, the connections used by the Sessions are also pooled.

Quote:
Is it reasonable from performance and scalability point of view to have my Data Access Layer open a session upon each request, use it to retrieve the object and then immediately close it?
From the system design point of view it seems most sensible to me because I don't want the service and UI layers who use to Data Access Layer to be aware of sessions or use any NHibernate APIs.
I'm aware of the lazy loading concerns - I just might use the
reattachment method I found in the forum or some another technique.

Since you're aware of the potential drawbacks, I think it's fine to do it this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:53 am 
Senior
Senior

when you say: the reattach method I've found in the forums, you mean the session.Lock(object, xx) method, don't you?[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:27 am 

Yes, I mean the session.Lock method.

This technique seems quite elegant, but the thing I don't like about it is that it forces your persistent domain objects to "know" that they are persistent (because they must invoke some NHibernate API upon getting of a lazy collection).
This problem however is rather conceptual and from practical aspects this method seems fine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]