-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: cascade: save-update
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:11 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi, I can understand setting cascade="delete" or cascade="none" on a one-many or many-one relationship.

With cascade="delete" on parent's mapping file, children gets deleted when parent is deleted.

With cascade="none" on parent's mapping file, nothing is done - children remains as orphan.

But, what's meant by:

cascade: "save-update" ...

there's nothing on children to be "updated" when parent's updated? The only thing to be updated is FK/PK field (foreign/primary key).

Thanks.

Post subject: from the book
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:43 am 

Well, someone please correct me if i'm wrong but what I understand this to mean is:

(assume i already have a parent object that was loaded from Hibernate)

Child child = new Child();

parent.Children.Add(child);
child.Parent = parent;

if the Parent defines it's children 'set' with cascade="save-update", then the child object will be automatically persisted to the database at the next commit.

if save-update is not specified, then (if I am reading the docs correctly) you would have to explicitly call save on the child object in order to persist it to the database.

Post subject: crystal clear, thanks.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:44 am 
Regular
Regular

crystal clear. Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]