-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unsaved value doesn't work
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:48 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

My customer object has a property Id which corresponds with the primary key in the database table.
I defined the hbm.xml like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.0">
   <class name="MyApp.Core.Domain.Customer, MyApp.Core" table="customer">
      <id name="Id" type="Int64" column="customerid" unsaved-value="-1">
         <generator class="identity"/>
      </id>
      <property name="Description" column="description"
   </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

When I create a new instance of the customer object, Id remains 0 and not -1 like I defined. Am I doing something wrong?

Greets,
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, you misunderstood it a bit. You should set unsaved-value to the value that id is initialized by default, not the other way round. You can't really expect NHibernate to somehow detect creation of your objects and alter their variables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:59 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Yes, I misunderstood that part apparently. Now, I set the property Id of the customer object default to -1 in the constructor of this object.
But why would you want to use the unsaved-value option then? I use an identity-field in MSSQL for the Id-property, so I leave the generation of values for the Id-column up to MSSQL. Can I omit unsaved-value in this situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Unsaved-value is used in SaveOrUpdate to determine whether the object should be INSERTed or UPDATEd. Even if you don't call SaveOrUpdate yourself, it is also called when processing cascades, so having unsaved-value specified correctly is important.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]