-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Automatically refresh parent when merge on child?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:43 am 

I have a parent/child relationship such that the parent contains a List of child elements. I am trying to get it so when a child element is updated, the parent's List of child elements is automatically updated. So far, I can't get this to work - it will only update the parent List on the second update of a child. I have tried CascadeType.ALL/CascadeType.REFRESH on both the child and the parent but neither seem to work. However, if I update the child element, then call em.refresh(parent), it works properly, or if I execute a query to retrieve the children (FROM child WHERE parent_id = ?), it works properly as well. But I would like this to happen automatically, to save me some typing and also because I think this is how it is supposed to work.

Here is the child:
Code:
public class Player implements Serializable {
    private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
    @Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.AUTO)
    private Long id;

private String firstName;
    private String lastName;

@Temporal(TemporalType.DATE)
    private Date birthDate;

@OneToOne(cascade=CascadeType.REFRESH)
    private Team team;

and here is the parent:

Code:
public class Team implements Serializable {
    private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
    @Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.AUTO)
    private Long id;

private String name;
    private int wins;
    private int losses;

@OneToMany(mappedBy="team",cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
    private List<Player> players;

I am trying to change the Team of a Player by changing player.team to NULL, removing the Player from the team. The weird thing is that changing Player.team to a certain team (adding a player to a team) works fine, and the change is shown immediately, but when REMOVING a player from a team (changing Player.team to NULL or another team) the change doesn't happen until the NEXT change to a player is made. BUT, after removing a player from a team, executing a query to retrieve a list of players on the team returns the correct list, but getting a list of players through Team.getPlayers() does not.

Any ideas?

...Let me know if you need to see any more code/if this wasn't clear.

Post subject: Re: Automatically refresh parent when merge on child?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:12 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hi,
I guess you are missing the "inverse" attribute. "inverse" attibute tells hibernate which end of the association that hibernate needs to synchronize with the database. Please see this link.
http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3. ... child.html

-Srilatha.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]